Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Maintenence Grant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hey, has anybody got their maintence grant? Does that include your university bursary. Last year it didn't, but this year it's gone up a ridiculous amount and doesn't seem right. nearly three grand, on top of the 3k maintenance loan (last year I got about £1500 I think). The university bursary is about that amount though so maybe they've lumped it in together?

Anyone been in this position? Or has it just gone up across the board?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was about to start a new topic bout bursaries, but i guess this is sorta similar prob to me.
    Starting a PGCE next week and ticked for the bursary but havent heard anything about how I go about getting it? Do you reckon i'll find out at enrollment?
    I noticed the maintenance grant - was going to phone up and enquire bout it...It looks separate to any bursary for PGCE funding.
    Sorry, I havent really helped with your answer though! :-s
    I'm not too sure, mine depends on my folks' incomes for the previous tax year. I got quite a high grant last year, it was around £2,400 or so, and was paid into my bank account in 3 installments throughout the year.
    I also somehow ended up with a £500 bursary for travel, and £100 for books, which both came from my uni. I think there is a box which you tick when you're applying for your loan etc., which allows the ELB to share your information with your uni, for the purposes of extra bursaries etc. Both of mine came in separately, but it may depend on your uni.

You should have received a letter from your ELB to inform you of how much you've been awarded, and a letter from your uni around the time of each bursary payment, to let you know how much you are getting and when it is/was due in.

Right, that's me finished blabbering, hope that's helped at least a wee bit!

capo2
    Yea, I've got both of the letters...

My income hasn't changed at all, but the amount of grant I'm getting has increased substantially. Seemed a bit off.

So my student loan is about £3K for tuition and £3k for maintence - that's fine. But my student maintenance grant has increased from £1800 (plenty tbh) to £2800. My bursary has gone down from £1800 to £1500, but that's probably just because I'm getting more grant.

I just don't want to be getting a bill in 6 months asking for it all back, though it does say confirmed. But I don't understand why it's so much bigger than last year??
    I don't get grants or the like so I can't help with that specifically, but my maintenance loan has increased for my second year, even with no change in circumstances.
    Put the extra in an ISA or some other savings account in case they ask for it back. Is there anyone you can ring about it? Your LEA or ask the finance dept at uni, they might be able to help.