Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

graduate bank accounts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, first of all, do you have to have actually graduated to have get of these?? ive had my results, know my marks, just havent attended a graduation ceremony yet.
Also, can you get long term savings account (like an isa) as opposed to just an account with a debit card.
What are the benefits of graduate accounts? better interest rates or summat?
Just something im looking into cos ive heard alot of people looking at them!
L+C

Comments

• Options
    Graduate accounts are normally a straight forward babk account but woth the option to pay your (normally intrest free or low intrest) overdraft from your degree back.

You can get an ISA at time once your 18. You can make either a one-off/monthly or random payments. You cant pay more then £3000 in this tax year (til the April next year) and £3600 per taxc year after that. It pay tax-free intrest and is a saving account not a bank account. Have a good luck round the market using a comparision website. Some wont let you use internet/branch/telephone banking and want DD payments on certain days of the month only rather then let you set up Standing Orders on a date to suit you.
  • Options
    Be aware also that some banks will charge you for having specifically a graduate account - Barclays wanted to charge me £5 a month for having a graduate additions account.
  • Options
    I have a graduate account... but by accident. I have no idea what it does, as I had my undergrad account cancelled - but they forgot to cancel it and it's now matured hehe.