Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Drug testing after arrest

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I understand its common if you are suspected of being high on something after you are arrested that you are drug tested. But it isnt illegal to be on drugs is it?

Say you beat someone up and they drug tested you (and you were on like coke for example), how would it effect your punishment? Surely one would get in more trouble if u beat up someone sober, cause it means you were clear of mind?

Comments

• Options
    Blagsta is the one to ask about this, what they can and cant do to people they suspect or know to be drug users keeps changing.

As far as I know if you give a positive piss test for heroin or coke then they can push you into other measures even if they dont charge you, but I might be wrong.

And no, they definitely will not be less harsh on you if your coked up.
  • Options
    So why bother drug testing at all?
  • Options
    Jonny8888 wrote: »
    So why bother drug testing at all?

I'm pretty sure its just procedure now, that and as I have said I think a positive test for heroin or coke can get you forced into treatment/assessment things.
  • Options
    I was locked up not too long ago (few months) and I never got drug tested, I've never heard of anyone being drug tested either!! I was plastered!!
  • Options
    If you are arrested for a "trigger offence", i.e. shoplifting, street robbery, begging, burglary, possession etc you will be tested for heroin and cocaine. If you test +ve, you are required by law to see a drugs worker in the police station. You will also required to attend a follow up assessment at a drug service.
  • Options
    "trigger offence"? What the hells that??
    Whats Affray classed as?
  • Options

They are offences that people addicted to hard drugs often get caught doing.
  • Options
    Whats Affray classed as?

If you read my post, you will see - "i.e. shoplifting, street robbery, begging, burglary, possession etc". As Budda says, offences linked with drug dependency.