Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

mortgage lenders

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So my boyfriend (and me) are looking in to buying a house, it's only been a recent thing, as in this weekend recent, anyway the question really is does anyone know of any good lenders that will give him a mortgage as his earning circumstances are slightly different, in the fact that he is full time and permantl employment by an emolyer (house building company) but the amount he earns is variable every week depending on what he does.
He's a carpenter on a building site and every job has a different price and you book in what you do week by week, so he doesn't have a fixed annual salary. At the minute he's earning between £750 - £850 a week before tax, but because last year he was on a set crappy wage because he was still an apprentice his grosse pay was only £13,500 odd where as this tax year he has already earnt more than that, because he's now qualified.
So if thats what they would base the loan on he wouldn't get very far, is that how it works? Or do they take into acount what you can afford to pay per month, but in his case how can you prove what you earn when there isn't a fixed amount, would weekly wage slips work? Because it's not like he's self employed or would the situation be similar, or would he have to wait to the end of this tax year to get a new p60 showing his earnings which grosse should be more like £25-30,000? Are normal high street lenders good for these sort of circumstances?

And just incase it's relevent we would want to borrow 115,000-120 tops, but probably more like 105.

any light on the subject would be great!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When me and my ex applied, he had a very low basic salary, but worked on commission which brought it up to a reasonable amount, and they took an estimate of a realistic amount he would expect to get, including commission and bonuses. I expect they'd do something similar in your case :)
    I think they will be reasonable about your partner's earnings if he can back up his earnings with proof (payslips, etc), but I bet that you will find it hard to get a lender to lend money to you at the moment if you don't have a big fat deposit.
    Kermit wrote: »
    but I bet that you will find it hard to get a lender to lend money to you at the moment if you don't have a big fat deposit.

How big and fat are we talking here!

I was having a browse around online and there were option to borrow 95% 97% or even a 100% is this not realistically the case then? (we wouldn't be going for the 100% by the way)
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    How big and fat are we talking here!

I was having a browse around online and there were option to borrow 95% 97% or even a 100% is this not realistically the case then? (we wouldn't be going for the 100% by the way)

Sometimes lenders restrict the amount they will lend to you (income multiplier will be lower if the loan to value is high, usually above 90/95%). Although some lenders will calculate how much you can borrow based on affordability, mainly looking at you current commitments compared to your salaries. Other lenders look at both.

IMO your best to contact an IFA ... the majority will offer a free service and can usually give you an agreement in principle within a few hours. Then you'll know what you've potentially got to play with.
    Building societies will more than likely be tightening up on lending money after the stuff with Northern Rock this weekend, which I presume is what Kermit was aluding to. It may take a while to filter onto the websites though, but the 1st people to be hit will be those with small or no deposits because they're a bigger risk should the market crash than people with large deposits.

As for the situation you're in, the best thing to do would be to talk to a mortgage advisor. There's plenty of free ones you can find online who will search through different mortgages for you and find you the best deals. They'll also know much more about whats available on the market and you aren't obliged to take their advice.
    Kazbo wrote: »
    As for the situation you're in, the best thing to do would be to talk to a mortgage advisor.

i really agree with this. :yes: We started looking in January and got an offer in principle from Northern Rock. When we put in an offer on a house the estate agency put us in touch with an independent mortgage adviser who worked out of their branch. He was FANTASTIC and made everything 100 times easier for us. We ended up with a far better deal and an amazing fixed rate!
    Cheers for the help guys, so these independant mortgage advisors would you recomend going to one in an estate agents then, or where would i go about finding one, also how much will it cost roughly?
    We went with one from an estate agene, he was really good. He was free aswell.
    They should be fee free and whole of market if you go for an IFA.

Kermit saying about not lending at the moment is true because of the current financial climate.

You won't get extremely high multiples etc without a bigger deposit.
    Is it imperative that you buy right now? The market is very uncertain at present and it's quite likely that if you hold off 6 months to a year that you will be able to get a better deal in both property prices and mortgage rates.

Generally people have been saying that for the last 18-months tho. I can't see any huge change in property prices either way anytime soon. However, I would avoid fixing atm if possible.
    Mortgage rates are rising rapidly because of the "credit crunch", and whilst I don't think there will be a fall in prices, I think mortgage rates will be lower in 6-12 months once the credit issues have settled down.

Most lenders have withdrawn their higher-risk products (.e. 90%+ LTV), and those that remain have very high interest rates now.
    if you can't get one through mortgage express, gmac or birmingham midshires then i'm afraid victoria mortgages and northern rock won't be able to help you, can't think of any other lenders out there atm that do self-cert...? i wouldn't buy now though, house prices can't/won't go much higher in real terms and i don't think mortgage rates are going to come down anytime soon even if the BOE does cut, the credit crunch is just beginning....
    if you can't get one through mortgage express, gmac or birmingham midshires then i'm afraid victoria mortgages and northern rock won't be able to help you, can't think of any other lenders out there atm that do self-cert...?

There are literally hundreds of lenders that do self cert products.