Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

overdrafts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
went to my bank last week and was told that i would have to wait around 6 months for them to assess my eligablity for an overdraft...is this normal?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is at the moment, because banks are very cagey about lending out money to people who might not be able to pay it back.

If you've never borrowed money you will find it very hard to borrow money at the moment.
    shit...it's only cos the council seem to pay me as an when they feel like it and i keep getting bank charges because of it...

if i got myself a job asap (as i'm planning) and brought a wage slip along go you think that they might reconsider?

i just need one for emergency's sake...
    Have you only recently opened your bank account?
    no i've had it for nearly 3 years
    Without a reliable income they won't let you borrow money, I wouldn't have thought.

The fuckers will happily slap the charges on, mind.

I think that if you're struggling with charges you should open a new basic bank account elsewhere.
    well they keep refunding them cos i pull the "i can't afford food now" line...though when they took £70 out of my account, i would have been hard pushed i have to say...

so, who has a good current account then? i'm with nat west, so who offers a better current account?
    shit...it's only cos the council seem to pay me as an when they feel like it

Have you complained to the council about this?
    Just open a new account with someone, ANYONE. You need your benefits and wages to go into an account where you will have access to it, before banks slap charges and take it off you. I opened my basic account with Halifax for this purpose. If your payment is late, phone the council and see what's up with it, and ask for an interim payment if they're doinga review and going to take ages over it...
    You might be able to get a loan if someone makes an assurance, i.e parents, family etc. (They guarantee that the loan will be paid back if something should happen.)
    But I'd still recommend that you get a job too, the more proof of ability to repay, the higher the chance of getting a loan :)
    T-Kay wrote: »
    You might be able to get a loan if someone makes an assurance, i.e parents, family etc. (They guarantee that the loan will be paid back if something should happen.)
    But I'd still recommend that you get a job too, the more proof of ability to repay, the higher the chance of getting a loan :)

But she said nothing about loans.:confused:
    Ok, might have misunderstood. sorry about that :)
    yes and they say that it's my bank, but it's not cos they are recieving payments late for the council, and i'm not the only person having this problem...
    i've had problems with halifax before, as have i with lloyds and HSBC...narrows it down quite a lot...
    You tried the post office or RBS?
    no cos i don't have either near by
    yes and they say that it's my bank, but it's not cos they are recieving payments late for the council, and i'm not the only person having this problem...

Who says it's your bank, and what is the problem you're having?
    the council say it's the bank and i'm not getting paid on the date that i'm meant to be paid
    the council say it's the bank and i'm not getting paid on the date that i'm meant to be paid

Have you checked the council have the right account details for you? If its even a digit out on their system it could slow your payments down.
    When I got my Halifax current account, they automatically gave me a 3 month "switchers" overdraft (£250), which is to allow you to swap all your finances over to your new account without getting any charges.

As I was working and regularly crediting my account (you would be 'cause of your benefits or whatever) then I was able to extend the overdraft. You can also increase it if you get a job etc & need it.

I think you said earlier in the thread that you've had problems with Halifax before, but like you said, you're not leaving much if you've had problems with lots of banks. I've never had problems with Halifax and they're online banking is great.
    Have you checked the council have the right account details for you? If its even a digit out on their system it could slow your payments down.
    they do have the right details, they do it to a lot of people...
    Which bank is the council with- get an account with them, should clear straight away, if it's a diff bank it might take a few days.