Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

HC1 Form (help with health costs)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Has anyone filled in one of these forms before?
I've just received my HC1 form and it asks about student loans. I currently have no income, and don't pay rent as I live at home with parents. The only money I have to my name is a £1225 tuition fee loan and £2620 maintenance loan.

Would I be entitled to help with health costs?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yup, nice long form.

Do you have any savings? No need to answer, but if you have over £8000 in savings then you're not eligible (might have gone up/down a bit since I did my form).

If you've got no savings, no other income, and no other benefits then you'll probably get some help.
    Nope, no savings, no other income I am somewhat impecunious! (skint)
    Im about to fill one in though that doesnt help. I need help though, i cant afford the £200 i need to spend on new lenses for my glasses. I hate having crappy eyes.
    Student loans count as income for help with health cost purposes. Annual loans and grants are divided by 52, and that is your weekly income.

For a single person aged under 25 without disabilities (defined by whether they get DLA or not), and who does not pay rent, the amount of money you need to live on (your requirement) is #46.85 per week. If your income exceeds this by more than 50% of the cost of the prescription (about #3.50) then you are not eligible for help with health costs. Even assuming only your maintenance grant counts as income, then you will not be eligible. This may be different if you receive DLA.

God bless my trusty CPAG handbook. The above information is on pages 179-182 of this year's book, if you're interested.
    Thats probably a no then. :( I really hate the rip off that is having shite eyes.

Edit: Oh hang on i will be paying £285 a month rent. No freebies in that department for me! Do I still have a chance of claiming Kermit? My only income will be a career development loan. £8000 £4000 will be going on fees.
    Renzo - you won't know until you've tried. I filled in this for in August. Only got it last week.:(
    Sofie wrote: »
    Renzo - you won't know until you've tried. I filled in this for in August. Only got it last week.:(

Im just waiting to get the reciepts when i pay for my things before i send it off. :nervous:
    Kermit wrote: »
    Student loans count as income for help with health cost purposes. Annual loans and grants are divided by 52, and that is your weekly income.

For a single person aged under 25 without disabilities (defined by whether they get DLA or not), and who does not pay rent, the amount of money you need to live on (your requirement) is #46.85 per week. If your income exceeds this by more than 50% of the cost of the prescription (about #3.50) then you are not eligible for help with health costs. Even assuming only your maintenance grant counts as income, then you will not be eligible. This may be different if you receive DLA.

God bless my trusty CPAG handbook. The above information is on pages 179-182 of this year's book, if you're interested.
    I'm crap at maths, does that mean I'm elligible? or not?
    Ilora: probably not.

Renzo: you might be; worth filling in the form, anyway.
    I filled it in when I was a student and found that I could get free wigs but not free prescription medicines.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I filled it in when I was a student and found that I could get free wigs but not free prescription medicines.

:confused:

I do find it slightly odd that you'd get one thing but not everything else. (or did you get anything else free?)
    Sofie wrote: »
    :confused:

I do find it slightly odd that you'd get one thing but not everything else. (or did you get anything else free?)

Well I seem to remember there was a selection of about six items that I qualified for free which included the wig but none of these items were something I had need of. The only thing I needed was medications which I had to pay the standard charge for.
  • BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    I would recommend filling the form out anyway both Ilora and Renzo, as you have nothing to lose.
    Yep, it's all filled in and waiting to go. I'm gonna pop it in the post the day on my uni induction day, so there's no confusion about when I started uni lol.