Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Another notice post...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Handing in notice etiquette. Is there such thing?

I really want to get out of my current rubbishy job, but 2 people have left in the last 2 months, so I keep thinking that I should grin and bear it for a while to let the dust settle before I leave.
But then i've spoken to others and they've said to go and dont worry about anything like that because you're staying in a job you are miserable in, so get out if you can. Especially as I wanted to be settled into a new job ideally by November/ early December and i'm on a bloody months notice...

What do you think? Should I wait a while before handing in notice due to all the previous departures, or should I just high tail it out of there? Does it seem rude or like I'm jumping with everyone else?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    imo just leave. no point in prolonging unhappiness...
    I'm not sure about etiquette, but I reckon you should just do it. It's not your fault two other people have left, why should you have to carry on in a job that's making you miserable just because of their timing? Are you worrying about what the atmosphere will be like at work if you do it now when things are a bit difficult because of the others leaving? Because realistically you would only have to put up with the tension for a month and if things are as bad there for you as you say (i.e. to the point at which you want to leave), it sounds like it couldn't get much worse anyway.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    StupidGirl wrote: »
    I'm not sure about etiquette, but I reckon you should just do it. It's not your fault two other people have left, why should you have to carry on in a job that's making you miserable just because of their timing? Are you worrying about what the atmosphere will be like at work if you do it now when things are a bit difficult because of the others leaving? Because realistically you would only have to put up with the tension for a month and if things are as bad there for you as you say (i.e. to the point at which you want to leave), it sounds like it couldn't get much worse anyway.

:yes: Jobs are like relationships I reckon - there's rarely a good time to leave if you're unhappy, but you owe it to yourself to move on as soon as you can if you keep coming back to the conclusion there's no future in it. On a practical level, (unlike relationships!) it's often better for find a new one before you leave, so it might be best to get job hunting before you hand in your notice (if you haven't started already) good luck. :)
    Well im lucky that my last night at work in the nightclub is this saturday, and then i start this monday at my new job.

Im the first of 9 people to leave within the next two months, of a 16 person staff.

Im lucky, if you want to get out, have a new job to go to, just do it
    **Helen** wrote: »
    On a practical level, (unlike relationships!) it's often better for find a new one before you leave

I think that could be applicable to some relationships :p

I'm going to hand in my notice tomorrow, to leave on the 21st. I gave my notice several weeks ago, in a ccd email to my manager / her boss, they said fine and everything but I need to do an official signed letter.
    Surely your happiness is better than whether or not they have enough staff?

I don't think there's a certain way of going about handing in your notice; but I would personally do it quietly and not make a big deal out of doing it.
    You serve the one months notice to give them time to look for someone else to replace you. They have plenty of time and you don't owe them anything so leave whenever you want
    Thanks everyone :), that was playing on my mind for a while. Just didn't want to seem rude or anything like that. But fuck it, it's a dead job with no prospects of ever moving up or a payrise or anything, so I might as well go