Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Top-Up Fees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hello,

I'm just about to start my second year at uni/college but i have been paying the top up fees. However I'm just rembered a moment when I was moaning at my head of 6th Form that if I did a pre-degree course I would have to pay the top up fees and he told me not to worry and the top up fees wouldnt effect me. However my tutor at my current college said only people that took a gap year and who where also not ment to pay top up fees could but he didnt mention about any one who was still in full time ed.

I mean it would be great just leaving with 14k of debt instead of 20/1 K

is there anything I can do?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    FOr you to not pay top up fees, you would have had to have had your university place confirmed by the end of the academic year in which you left school.

So, if on results day, you knew where you were going to uni and had been accepted (like the people in your year who were straight off to uni) then you'd be one the old system with no top up fees.

If you didn't apply, or didn't confirm your place til the year after, in your gap year/pre uni course year then you pay top up fees.

So, did you know for definite where you were going to uni when you started your pre uni course/year out/gap year?

If yes, then you shouldn't pay top up.

If no, then you sadly you do.

Generally the LEAs and student finance have been getting this one righth.
    well I was applying for art/media courses so you have to do a foundation year to get on,I did not have a place confirmed when I applied for my Foundation year. however I got on through clearing to the college where I am now
    If you only applied during (or after) your foundation year then sadly you are stuck with top up fees.