Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

laptops

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BUT i noticed with the dongles, they get very hot and the 3(different) brands I've had, all got hot and kept losing connecton
    thing is, my broadband goes through my set top box which is downstairs and my pc is upstairs

making it wireless is no big deal i guess, its fine how it is...just thought while i was going wireless, i might as well do it properly haha, but i guess there's no need when i really think about it!

so would my router go in my set top box? then i can plug the cable (which i already have running from my box to my pc) into it, but still have my lappy wireless?
    Who's your net provider?
    I had a toshiba which I spectacularly killed ( although i'm not sure how) and now I have an HP Pavillion. Seems fine and is nice and shiny. I'm gonna put one in for buy it at john lewis though, 2 year free guarantee, so when my toshiba broke for the 3rd time after 20 months, they just refunded the original price and I got this shiny new one. score.
    CoolMe wrote: »
    Who's your net provider?

virgin media
    PC World have a very nice Philips Laptop reduced from £700 to £500

I was thinking of getting but then saw this in Tesco

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.200-5324.aspx

The processor in it is right at the very top end of what you can get in a Laptop over your budget but very nice and looks cool in white I think.

Plus if it goes wrong you aren't messing about with internet returns..

In terms of customer support Packard Bell are excellent - probably the best website support site of any company - including a freely open website forum for customers to post their questions and help each other out, something I've not really seen with other companies. I know the laptop I have from them was made by NEC.
    Littleali wrote: »
    virgin media

They won't sluppy with you a router i believe so your need to get one =]

Netgear would be recommendation
    You could also join the FON community and get a cheap router + free access to wifi when traveling

http://www.fon.com/en/

I have 3 invites for friends to get a WiFi Router for 20 Euro's

instead of 34.44 euros
    CoolMe wrote: »
    They won't sluppy with you a router i believe so your need to get one =]

yeah i knew that :)
    I've had my Dell for nearly 2 years now, brilliant, no problems at all.

My advice is not to get a laptop that has Intel graphics, its what most laptops are let down by.
    Is it worth me spending another £35 to get XP Professional instead of Media Centre Edition 2005

Ive never used MCE before thats all?

Comments please
    PS its just for someone else, not a complete computer boffin

though i might be using it now and again
    i have a phillips laptop and never had any problems with it and would highly recommend one

tho mine would be slightly outside your budget at £649 (but it does have 2mb RAM and 106gb hard drive which i'm very happy with)

i only use mine to play around, on the internet and listen to music
    noog wrote: »
    Yeah one of my clients had an advent, the screen hinges broke off so the screen coulden't stay upright on it's own, the thing kept shutting down. build quality is generally crap with those laptops

That's the same thing that happened with both of ours. I'd just be surfin the net or whatever and it would just randomly switch off. :s
    Welsh Jemz wrote: »
    i have a phillips laptop and never had any problems with it and would highly recommend one

tho mine would be slightly outside your budget at £649 (but it does have 2mb RAM and 106gb hard drive which i'm very happy with)

i only use mine to play around, on the internet and listen to music

I'm pretty sure your Laptop had a lot more then 2mb of RAM maybe it has 2GB of RAM? 106GB is a funny number as well sure it's not 160GB HD?

There was a similar sounding philips at PCWorld for £500 - smaler HD and 1GB RAM.
    Amnesiac wrote: »
    I've had my Dell for nearly 2 years now, brilliant, no problems at all.

My advice is not to get a laptop that has Intel graphics, its what most laptops are let down by.

I find Intel graphics to be pretty decent these days - for one you know if it's an Intel you're not going to have to struggle to get new drivers for it.

My cousin's laptop who I was reinstalling windows for last night has some Unichrome graphics card built in and that was really bad.

Newer Intel laptop graphics cards have a lot of features for playing back DVD's and movies smoothly - they're not the best for 3D Games but not the worst either. And a lot of graphics depends on whether the laptop shares the memory with the rest of the computer or has a dedicated memory (which is usually faster) for it's own use. Also the latest intel graphics also think about other things like saving battery life - for instance by lowering the frames per second on thing like wordprocessing to save battery power.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/notebooks/review/2007/04/17/Intel-Santa-Rosa-Revealed/p4

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/clear_video/
    DG wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure your Laptop had a lot more then 2mb of RAM maybe it has 2GB of RAM? 106GB is a funny number as well sure it's not 160GB HD?

There was a similar sounding philips at PCWorld for £500 - smaler HD and 1GB RAM.
    sorry yes i meant 2 GB :blush: