Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Q about handing in notice....urgent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
do you actually have to tell your employer the name of the new place you're working.
its a better job than the one ive got, but i dont really want to say im going to work for XXX, but dont want them to think im being funny if i avoid all their quesitons.
help, ive got to hand in my notice tonite!!! :shocking: :eek:

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    You dont have to tell them anything.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'd just write them a letter explaining that you are leaving and are working your notice (whatever your contract states), confirm the last day of employment. its usually nice to thank them for your time you have been employed. leave it at that.

employers will have seen more resignation notices than you've written so dont get wound up about it. it'll be a weight off your shoulders once its done.

if you are a valued employee expect maybe a chat with your manager discussing why you are leaving and what they could do to make you stay or what things could have been different.

if not, they'll probably just say thanks.

also be prepared for them to ask you not to work your notice, but they'll pay you for it. our place does that to avoid disruption and taking it easy for your notice period.

hope this helps
    the only reason they might want to know is if you're moving to a competitor, but you don't have to tell them.

But if you are moving to a competitor I would tell them as they might stick you on garden leave!
    m not moving to a competitor, but whats garden leave?
    i suppose i feel bad since ive just kinda been promoted....but this new job is double the pay,perfect hours+alot beter prospects
    m not moving to a competitor, but whats garden leave?
    “Garden leave” is the term given to a situation whereby an employee is required to serve out a period of notice at home (or “in the garden”). During this period the employee continues to receive all salary and benefits but is prohibited from commencing employment with new employers until the gardening leave period has expired. It is a practice which employers often adopt with employees who have a certain status whereby they have access to confidential information or customers and where they are leaving to join a competitor. During the gardening leave period the employee’s access to such information or customers is either restricted or denied.

From here
    I never hand a written notice, I just say 'I'm leaving in a week t'ra then'. Seems to do the trick
    I wouldnt tell them where you leaving to work, unless your happy
    to do so.

After all your under no obligation to say.
    kangoo wrote: »
    I never hand a written notice, I just say 'I'm leaving in a week t'ra then'. Seems to do the trick

lol