Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Call centre commission

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend works in a call centre for a major mobile phone network. He had the best stats in his team this month and earned £750 commission. Unfortunately he had 20 minutes too long spent on toilet breaks in the month so the whole lot has been taken off him. The reason he spent so long in the toilet is because he regularly has stomach upsets. He has been to the doctor about this but they didn't know what was wrong. This was a few months ago. Is there anything he can do? He is allowed to appeal if his manager lets him but she doesn't want to know

Comments

• Options
    1. Regular upset stomach for someone working on commissioning in a call centre sounds like stress to me [/amateur doc]

2. Why just his manager? I'd appeal further up the chain of command. It's what a heirachy is for ;)

3. Check his contract too. They might have this all sewn up in that. If not then they cannot deduct money from his earnings.
  • Options
    3. Check his contract too. They might have this all sewn up in that. If not then they cannot deduct money from his earnings.

I think you have to hit certain targets to get your commission. I'm not sure exactly how it works. Maybe you have to hit them all to get commission and he didn't hit that one. Seems very unfair to take it all away
  • Options
    Well, if that is one of the targets and he dodn't achieve it, then he's not entitled to commission for achieving the others.

However, if he really has a health problem I would appeal it still...
  • Options
    I'm getting my probation extended by six months because I took an absence because I had to get a back tooth extracted. Getting my probation extended means I probably won't get my £1000 bonus if o2 meet their financial targets for this year. Fair to say I'm sick to the back teeth of this shit (badoom-tching!)

If you spend too long in toilet breaks in here then you get fucked too. Or if you spend too long in after call adding important notes to a customers account and actually trying to do your job. Or if you have too long a call handling time - fucks you up the arse too.

One guy I know accidentaly left himself logged in to the phones all night and his stats were fucked. Tried to do him out of his bonus for it till they got the union involved and they soon backed down after that.
  • Options
    Ah so he's fucked then :(
  • Options
    Is he part of any union?
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Is he part of any union?

I think so
  • Options
    kangoo wrote: »
    I think so

Tell him to get onto them. Now.
  • Options
    Call centres destroy the soul :(

But yeh, get the union on to it! bastards.
  • Options
    This is why I refuse to work in a call centre anymore. I feel your pain!
  • Options
    does he get basic hrly pay as well as commission?

if so I'd suggest that the most they could do is not pay him for the 20 minutes or so he wasn't working, which unless he gets a really good decent pay should be much less than £750

If he's in a union he should contact them. If he's not he should see about whether if he joins now they'll take up the cudgels on his behalf (some unions are willing to take on existing complaints as long as you join up, others will only take on issues which start from when you become a member).
  • Options
    I have just had my probabtion extended til spring 08, for throwing a sickie last week, and for being rude to a customer.

Fucking hate my job.
  • Options
    If he's a member of the union then tell him to go to them.

Big compaines can and will rip the absolute piss with their rules, because most people are scared that they'll get a hard time from the bosses if they start kicking up a fuss.

The union will put the shitters up the bosses, organise an appeal meeting with his union rep and he'll be able to push the circumstances. Did he say he had a medical condition beforehand, cause if he did then they probably don't have a leg to stand on.
  • Options
    OMG all this makes me realise how lucky I am where I'm working now. Flexi-time, coffee and fag breaks whenever I want, good pay, other people in the office are cool etc. I had today off to go shopping, told them I wasn't coming in at 1.30 and no one batted an eyelid.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    OMG all this makes me realise how lucky I am where I'm working now. Flexi-time, coffee and fag breaks whenever I want, good pay, other people in the office are cool etc. I had today off to go shopping, told them I wasn't coming in at 1.30 and no one batted an eyelid.

Ditto. :)

My work let me drink wine after 5pm on a Friday, and we get to watch Eastenders on t'telly as well as MTV. All the banks we do roadshows for send us big crates of champers as a thank you at crimbo. I was given a lift home in a seventy thousand pound car the other night. I'm able to wear slippers in at work at the weekend. Get to wear what I want, and the team are an absolute riot.

Our boss owns Rhoderick Du's in town as well so we get a cheeky bevvy on the sly on our nights out. Plus if I go out with the boss' son at a night out his Mam has a black taxi account so I don't need to pay for any taxis.

Proper love my job. :D
  • Options
    High five!
  • Options
    It's a fairly common thing with call centre bosses, because they don't like coughing up for a single penny more than they have to, and I think that if he stands up to them and makes a fight of it they will back down. They rely on people being too scared to stand up to them.

Again, though, this is why I'm so glad I don't work to commission for robbing call centres who will rape you up the arse financially given half a chance.
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Proper love my job. :D

What dya do?
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    What dya do?

I work for a worldwide chauffeur company. We book cars for big banks, corporations, companies and the like. We've done cars for Fall Out Boy, Fleetwood Mac, Pharrell Williams, MTV Europe Awards, Paramount Pictures, Clive Owen, Ricky Martin, Walt Disney, John Legend, The Rolling Stones, Microsoft, Amazon.co.uk, HSBC, to name a few!

Like a fancy taxi service. :)

Only downside to it is I need to work 12 hour shifts, 4 days on, 4 days off.
  • Options
    Ooooooooo - I had loads of these kind of things booked when I worked for Nokia to pick me up from and take me to the airports in the UK when I was working in Italy. Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice.
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    Ooooooooo - I had loads of these kind of things booked when I worked for Nokia to pick me up from and take me to the airports in the UK when I was working in Italy. Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nice.

Nokia too! And Samsung...! :razz:
  • Options
    1983 wrote: »
    Nokia too! And Samsung...! :razz:

Lol - I've worked for Samsung too... ;) ... and Panasonic. Amongst many others!
  • Options
    I work in an HMRC contact centre (they call it that so we don't think we work in a call centre :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) and we didn't used to have call time targets or anything like that, but very slowly they have crept in new rules and regulations about call handling times and how long you can spend in 'idle' and after call 'wrap'. It isn't anywhere near as bad as traditional call centres because it's government, and the staff who've worked there the longest would kick up a fuss. I manage to go to the loo quite a lot without anyone saying anything. We have a lot of after call 'wrap' to do due to the nature of the work so we're not on the phone all the time, more like 40% of the time taking calls, so it's not too bad.
  • Options
    does he get basic hrly pay as well as commission?

if so I'd suggest that the most they could do is not pay him for the 20 minutes or so he wasn't working, which unless he gets a really good decent pay should be much less than £750

Yes he's on a salary which is all he['s getting this month. The problem is that you have to hit targets to get your commission and time off the phone is one of them. For some reason if you don't hit that you don't get any of your commission, even though he outperforms everyone on his team every month and is often in the top few out of all the companies employees (in that job). But 1 minute extra off the phone every day and its taken away :(

He was so depressed and unmotivated after the whole thing he took two days off work so I doubt they'll do anything now
  • Options
    It's because they don't like forking out the money.

At least he knows not to fucking bother next time.