Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Questions to ask at an interview

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got any really good questions to ask your interviewers. I can never think of anything intellegent at the time, anyone good any ideas ??

hit me with them :thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What kind of job are you applying for or what is the interview to do with? A bit of information would help :)
    omg, work and volunteering forum!!!

:p

Can you describe for me a typical working day?
    What kind of training should I expect to receive?

Have a google!
    lipsy wrote: »
    Can you describe for me a typical working day?
    What kind of training should I expect to receive?

Have a google!

That more like it, keep em coming :p

Bumping a thread off to the work forum is like the kiss of death. :D

Its a job doing corporate responsibilty for a supermarket. I just want some different questions.
    Calvin wrote: »

Bumping a thread off to the work forum is like the kiss of death. :D

Aww :( Move it back then, I was only playing!

Google does have some good Qs though.. if you type in "interview questions" and then add "final" or "second" to your searches.
    How is it that this job has come about?

That is my all time number one question....it is good because the interview panel have to squirm a bit! I also like to know why the job is vacant in the first place and if someone has progressed within the company it naturally progresses onto discussion about ways in which you can progress in the future.
    Pink_Angel wrote: »
    How is it that this job has come about?

That is my all time number one question....it is good because the interview panel have to squirm a bit! I also like to know why the job is vacant in the first place and if someone has progressed within the company it naturally progresses onto discussion about ways in which you can progress in the future.

hehe good one
    Two questions I used in all my graduate interviews and every man jack of them gave me positive feedback for asking these questions and we're talking big ass international companies here including my future employer.

1) What has your experience been with the company - the ups, the downs and generally what it has been like to work for company x

2) Where do you see the company going in 5 / 10 years' time? [especially good if you've been boning up on the company and if you've found an article or bit of news that could have major implications for them]

These questions are good for two reasons
    i) Every interviewer I've ever had has loved talking about themselves/the company (but mainly themselves) plus it gives you a chance to relax a little
    ii) It shows you actually have a genuine interest in the company, where it's going, how the 'average' employees find it etc. If you whip out evidence of having looked into the company and found a recent news piece about them, they'll cream themselves quicker than you can say Corporate Social Responsibility.
    Two questions I used in all my graduate interviews and every man jack of them gave me positive feedback for asking these questions and we're talking big ass international companies here including my future employer.

Do you have to just remind everyone that you work for a 'big ass company' so often when you post... What was it? RBS Internal Audit?! Ohh ahhh well done. I think from your posts we can all see that you are going to be earning 'big bucks' but £23k + bonus just isnt that amazing in London these days... By the way, those questions you suggested are so obvious.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest ;)
    2) Where do you see the company going in 5 / 10 years' time? [especially good if you've been boning up on the company and if you've found an article or bit of news that could have major implications for them]

Even better if you reference the article in the question:

Such as, why do you think that the implications of [X story] will have on the company...
    Are there any set targets within the company and are these usually met?

I love targets and trying to meet them etc so I think that would be a good conversation starter? xx
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Moogs wrote: »
    Do you have to just remind everyone that you work for a 'big ass company' so often when you post... What was it? RBS Internal Audit?! Ohh ahhh well done. I think from your posts we can all see that you are going to be earning 'big bucks' but £23k + bonus just isnt that amazing in London these days... By the way, those questions you suggested are so obvious.

Do you know Thunderstruck? You seem to have made a dig at him in quite a few posts so far. To be honest, unless you've got something to add that will help the OP or others looking for similar advice then it's probably a good idea to take a step back.
    Moogs wrote: »

Who the fuck is this joker?
    That's what i was thinking.
    How will you measure if I'm doing the job well?
    is a good one as it shows that you want to do the job well and be taken seriously - and their answer will give you a good idea of the management style you can expect to recieve.

Also, What's the best thing about working here? and How do you see this role developing? - both similar to Thunderstruck's but a bit simpler.

Good luck :)
    What makes people successful in this job / How would you describe the ideal candidate?

Has this position come about because of a development in the company and what is the most common reason for employees leaving the company?