Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Advice on Getting A Job

Currently, I'm not doing anything and really do need to do something. The problem is, I have a holiday booked at the end of October and before then (depending on whether or not my blood tests come back clear) I'm likely to have quite a few doctors/hospital appointments.

Am I better off waiting until after October to get a job or should I get one now? Even though I'm likely to need quite a bit of time off.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When you say you 'need to do something' do you mean get money or just out the house?

If you just need to do something you could volunteer in a charity shop or something.

But if you were to get a job most employers ask if you have any holidays booked and that prior to you starting so I wouldn't worry until nearer the time. If you prove to them you can work hard despite outside distractions and be consistant with them it shouldn't be a problem.
    Both I guess. Money isn't that much of an issue for me right now though.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Both I guess. Money isn't that much of an issue for me right now though.

Cool, well what to do is go volunteer in a charity shop. It's not paid but they're really flexible about your hours. They're ALWAYS looking for folk and it'll look amazing on your CV when you go forth and look for a paid job.

It's up to you, but if money's not an issue and you're just looking to fill your day then that would work, I reckon.

Or a pub job, work evenings part time - away from hospital appointments etc. Your hours will be less which would mean that you won't be looked on that harshly when you go on holiday. :)
    Thanks. Did look on the job cnetre website for evening jobs, but many of them are 11pm - 2am. Will keep looking though.
    charity shop is a good idea or just any type of volunteering depending on what you're interested in. think this site has like a sister site it's http://www.do-it.org.uk/

i used to volunteer and it was pretty good, i joined up with millenium volunteers and got lots of pretty certificates which look good in your portfolio.
    I did millenium volunteers last year as part of my course involved 2 days of being in a nursery. (and you've just reminded me about something - thank you Rachael!)
    yay :)
    Went down the job centre yesterday and they're just as useless as the website. Didn't actually talk to anyone though.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Went down the job centre yesterday and they're just as useless as the website. Didn't actually talk to anyone though.

they're known for being arse holes
    ;lol: I've talked ot my dad (who is slightly more useful) and has told me to also try the Plymouth website.