Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

getting out of a contract

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm renting a house (well, a room in a house) and have signed a contract for a year. is there any way of getting out of it at all?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It should say in your lease what the terms of ending the contract early are. Not many landlords can stop you leaving, but some may demand you find someone to take over your room.
    if i couldn't find anyone to take over my room, is there any way of getting out of it then? as in, without still having to pay the rent?
    check the contract, we cant tell you without knowing the T&C's
    If your contract says no, then no. Read your contract.
    see if there are any flaws in your contract to allow you to terminate it early.
    most contracts (except for student contracts) allow you t terminate by giving a months notice. but it depends on what your contract says, which is a legally binding document, and how nice your landlord is.
    Sometimes a way of urgently getting out of a contact can be by breaking their defined rules to make them terminate the contract - let me make it clear I'm not trying to pass that off as a good thing to do under normal circumstances. For example, some people I know living at a certain student residence were told unless they found alternative residents for the accomodation, they were tied in. They cancelled their direct debits, and thus their contract was terminated and they were asked to leave.