Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

no tax

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ive been working for a few months for a building supplies company. i finished the 10 week temp contract, and they took me on fulltime 3 weeks ago. i got my first pay cheque on friday and i had not been taxed. (apart from 30 quid NI).
will i have to pay it in the future?

i was unemployed for quite a few months before this job. and i have 100 quid to claim back from a few years back too. will this make a difference?

Comments

• Options
    NI you have to pay regardless.

If you havent worked since the beginning of the tax year (April 6th) and starting this job then its highly unlikely you would have earnt enough to pay tax. The current threshold is £5225 gross for this tax year.

Which tax code your on and your rate of pay will effect when you start and how much tax you pay in the future. If you want a rough idea of how much your going to have deducted monthly, ask your payroll department for advice.

The £100 quid reclaim wont make a difference if its for a different tax year.
  • Options
    The owed taxed won't be the issue as it usually shows on your payslip as a tax refund.

It seems a bit strange that you weren't taxed, as the tax-free allowance is divided by 52, rather than being allotted at the beginning of the tax year. If you do underpay tax then you'll get it added later, so I wouldn't worry too much, but it seems strange.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    It seems a bit strange that you weren't taxed, as the tax-free allowance is divided by 52, rather than being allotted at the beginning of the tax year. If you do underpay tax then you'll get it added later, so I wouldn't worry too much, but it seems strange.

I have processed payslips without tax on them once or twice before. Will occur because your on a culmative tax code and have earnt just enough to come under the tax free allownace for the pay period (week/month/four-week etc). It is very rare, and the tax will catch up with you soon enough.