Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

GCSE results

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yep, Oxford and Cambridge is just the same thing isn't it? :rolleyes:
    Ricardo R wrote: »

I thought it was :confused: isn't that why they call it Oxbridge? Or am I making things up?
    squeal wrote: »
    I thought it was :confused: isn't that why they call it Oxbridge? Or am I making things up?
    Hehe nah, 2 entirely separate places - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxbridge. Should become a bit of a redundant phrase now that unis like Imperial and LSE are just as good.
    Ricardo R wrote: »

I don't think he'd be daft enough to use Cambridge again. It's just your attitude is a bit too familiar. Anyway oxford and cambridge are more or less the same thing, just different unis.
    Are you wanting to go to Cambridge to do Medicine then?
    I'm sorry but banging on about getting A*s and As and not being pleased is just so insulting to people who got Bs and Cs and do think they did well. So, yeah, please change the record.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Everyone has goals and aims. If someone has (realistic) aims of getting straight A*s and doesn't, then they do have a right to be disappointed. However, if someone has no chance of straight A*s and gets Cs and Ds and are disappointed then I would say (in the nicest possible way!) that they were deluded. Just like, if someone is aiming for Bs and Cs and hits them then that is worth celebrating too.

It all depends on your own expectations - how high and how realistic they are. And if you dont reach these expectations then it is only natural that you are disappointed. xsazx, sorry you didn't do as well as you wished.
    I didn't do as well as I wanted to, but I got pleanty to get me into 6th form so that's all that matters. I wanted an A in geography but only got a C cause i forgot all of my case studies. I was really dissapointed, but once you start whatever you're doing next it doesn't really matter, as long as you get to where you want to go.
    That's well confusing... Being Scottish (haha) we do Standard Grades and Intermediates - you can only do 8 max (you could do 8 inters or 8 standard grades or a mix of both, dont ask why).. I dont get it either as they are both just as difficult..)
    Aside from that though.. would an A* be equivalent to a Scottish A?? :confused:
    I got 5 A's and 3 B's which am pretty chuffed with - was expecting mainly B's and C's...!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    That's well confusing... Being Scottish (haha) we do Standard Grades and Intermediates - you can only do 8 max (you could do 8 inters or 8 standard grades or a mix of both, dont ask why).. I dont get it either as they are both just as difficult..)
    Aside from that though.. would an A* be equivalent to a Scottish A?? :confused:
    I got 5 A's and 3 B's which am pretty chuffed with - was expecting mainly B's and C's...!

Having gone through the Scottish system and now finding out about the English system, there is no real comparisson to the GCSEs to the SGs. Especially now that they are adding intermediate levels too. Intermediate levels are meant for those who, perhaps, cannot make a credit grade. When did they change the grading system? It used to be 1-8, rather than A-E.
    nicolalou wrote: »
    I'm sorry but banging on about getting A*s and As and not being pleased is just so insulting to people who got Bs and Cs and do think they did well. So, yeah, please change the record.

Again, different people different levels of abilities and expectations, if you can get the top marks then why wouldn't you be disappointed if you didn't?

Bit like if you said you were disappointed you didn't get a great job then it's insulting to all the people who are binmen who hare happy with their lot.
    What I'm trying to say is this...

A friend of mine weighed herself in a mutual friend's room and she was 127 pounds, she then proceeded to say oh my god I am soo fat. The mutual friend was 148 pounds, and she was gutted. She thought, well if 127 is fat I must be super fat.

If some one moaned about having 28 A*s then the person who got 12 Bs and was happy may start to think, fuck it, I'm actually shit! Then feel terrible about themselves.
    So people shouldn't be allowed to express there opinions? it's a public messageboard, if people are that sensitive then they shouldn't go on them.
    So people shouldn't be allowed to express there opinions? it's a public messageboard, if people are that sensitive then they shouldn't go on them.

Sure they are allowed to, just as I am doing myself. Everyone has a sensitive side, it doesn't mean it should stop them from doing normal things such as going on boards. I'm just saying, sure you may be upset with what you got, but be careful what you're saying because you don't know who you're going to offend or cause upset to. And just to be perfectly honest, I was getting bored of people moaning about their 'awful' results, when they were not so bad at all and they should be really pleased that they didn't fail and can continue on to study A Levels. If they got AAB at A Level and were upset coz it cost them a place at Uni then so be it, but all As and A*s at GCSE aren't gonna cause you too much of a problem in life.

I'm sorry if I'm upsetting you by what I'm saying, it's just my opinion. And, like you said, I'm entitled to it.
    but be careful what you're saying because you don't know who you're going to offend or cause upset to.

So that was you being being careful about what you're saying in case you cause offence or upset people?
    So that was you being being careful about what you're saying in case you cause offence or upset people?

I apologised first didn't I? And, asked please!:) But now, this is another record that needs changing!:D
    When did they change the grading system? It used to be 1-8, rather than A-E.
    Lol It hasnt changed.. Its easier to say that i got 5 A's/3 B's than going through with people that I did get 4 1's, 2 2's, an A and a B.. Makes it less confusing!!! :)
    What I'm trying to say is this...

A friend of mine weighed herself in a mutual friend's room and she was 127 pounds, she then proceeded to say oh my god I am soo fat. The mutual friend was 148 pounds, and she was gutted. She thought, well if 127 is fat I must be super fat.

2 totally different things. And with the weight thing height would also have to be brought into consideration as well.
    Sofie wrote: »
    2 totally different things. And with the weight thing height would also have to be brought into consideration as well.

Of course it would, but a super skinny person saying that is not on! I had a friend who was around sixteen stone, I would never say infront of her I was fat because quite clearly she was much fatter than me. It just would have hurt her feelings.

And xsazx, I wans't actually having a personal dig at you in the first place you know! But, thanks for killing me with all of the hard life bullying stuff.

If you are being bullied for your grades, you should know that you are much better than that! I had someone come up to me and say "I'm Nicola, I've got AAB and I'm going to University"...and I was like yeah...and? This is what you're bullying me for? Having a life? You should be proud of what you have got, whether you didn't do as great or not. I should have got an A* in History but I'm happy with my A.

I can see why you have been so gutted by your results though, obviously they mean a hell of a lot to you and I apologise for upsetting you or offending you in anyway and wish you lots of luck for the future. I'm sure you'll get straight A's at A Level and get into a super good Uni and then you cna put these 'bad' marks behind you.