Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Petition To Make Prescriptions Free

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
Currently, people in England have to pay prescription charges, but Wales doesn't. There's a petition to make all prescriptions free. The link is http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/prescriptions/#detail
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Umm you do have to pay for prescriptions in Scotland.
    Someone on here told me they were free. *edits*
    is there a petition to make the Welsh pay for prescriptions?
    :lol: I have no idea. You can search the site to check.
    minimi38 wrote: »
    You should start one :thumb:
    Would anybody sign one to make US prescriptions free? puppy_dog_eyes.gif
    noooooooo, i like having free prescriptions :D
    Ah was gutted when I moved to England!
    Registered back in Wales now! mwahahaha!
    Would anybody sign one to make US prescriptions free? puppy_dog_eyes.gif

If you sign the petition to give us free prescriptions.
    Whats the point, if we dont pay for our perscriptions at point of sale we will pay for them in our taxes.
    True, but it will mean not having to buy them everytime you need something. It also means that people with serious illnesses that have to pay for their medication now won't have to keep on paying for their prescriptions/season tickets.
    Sofie wrote: »
    True, but it will mean not having to buy them everytime you need something. It also means that people with serious illnesses that have to pay for their medication now won't have to keep on paying for their prescriptions/season tickets.

True. I'm on medication for life and it's expensive and a pain in the arse having to find the money. Plus when I have a relapse I need different types and lots more of them on prescription. Sometimes I'm on 84 tablets a week and it costs a fortune. I'm only allowed to take so many before I have to go back to the docs and get another prescription. I wouldn't mind my taxes going up slightly to cover this.
    VinylVicky wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind my taxes going up slightly to cover this.

I wouldn't either and I don't many other people will mind either.
    If Wales can do it, I don't see why England can't either.
    They can get the money easily from taxes on cigarettes!
    nicolalou wrote: »
    If Wales can do it, I don't see why England can't either.
    They can get the money easily from taxes on cigarettes!

The reason Wales can do it is because the English are paying for it in their taxes
    Calvin wrote: »
    The reason Wales can do it is because the English are paying for it in their taxes

Why on earth do the English have to pay for the Welsh to get free prescriptions?:grump:
    Sheep herds don't generate alot of wealth.
    Just think about this for a second though, the money will come from TAXES, so, we'll be paying for it one way or another. If im not mistaken, its only like 6 quid for a perscription and people who use medication regualaly can have lenthy perscription. (IE 6 months worth on one perscription). Also the very poor / people on benefits get free perscription. So i dont really see what the big problem is really, i think ones just paying for the adminstration of getting the meds to you, the meds still come for free.

I would like them to be free, but we'll have to pay for them one way or another!
    minimi38 wrote: »

I saw one a few nights ago.
    If im not mistaken, its only like 6 quid for a perscription and people who use medication regualaly can have lenthy perscription. (IE 6 months worth on one perscription).

It's £6.85, but it will mean for certain people (like my mum) who are on medication for life will have to keep on paying either £6.85 per item every time they need something or pay £98 a year for the next however many years.
    Come live with me for a bit, then you'll appreciate the 6.85 ;)
    How much do you pay?
    Well i had a huge bite from some insect or something on my leg, while i was on holiday recently, and the medication cost me around £10, but when you realise the normal prescription is like £6.85 or something these days, so not too bad in the middle of nowhere.

Id be quite happy to sign it, if all of you who did sign it, petitioned for taxes to be raised, otherwise we would all be screwed when the system fell apart faster than it currently is now. Id hate to see the NHS with less money than a scrubber chav whos just got lucky and decided to use his left over cheese and onion crisp packet as a form of contraceptive.

Oh and by the way, this was the leg on the third day, it cleared up by the 8th. Oh and it did get worse.
    Sofie wrote: »
    It's £6.85, but it will mean for certain people (like my mum) who are on medication for life will have to keep on paying either £6.85 per item every time they need something or pay £98 a year for the next however many years.

If you have certain long-term illnesses (such as thyroid problems) then the NHS will let you have free presciptions for life, but the list if very limited. My mum has free presciptions but has to contribute a small amount towards a couple of things she has as they are so expensive.

You can also get a pre-paid presciption certificate that can reduce the costs if you have to get regular prescriptions.

If you dont pay for presciptions, you will just get taxed more somewhere else. I think the system works, but there should be a few more allowances for long-term illness sufferes. Heck I would be happy to pay for my contraceptive pill if they'd let me.
    Well, for a start the government should use OUR taxes that the Welsh use to pay for their prescriptions be used to pay for ours instead.
    but there should be a few more allowances for long-term illness sufferes.

Agreed.
    I really think everybody should have the same rights. I don't get it... why is it different from region to region...when it's the same country!!! I want free prescriptions too!:yippe:
    Ada Suboxone Detox