Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Estate agents fee's....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
We're going to sign for a student house tommorow and they've mentioned today for the first time that we need to pay £50 each fees. Is this normal? I thought the agency made money off the landlords not us.....?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's some charge that the landlord is passing on to you. It's not particularly normal, no, but I guess some landlords are better than others. Take it as a sign to move out soon.
    I've had to pay fees on every house I've ever rented. Generally about £100 + VAT. Always been told it's admin fees for the estate agents.
    Mist wrote: »
    It's some charge that the landlord is passing on to you.

No it's not, it's robbing agency fucking cunts screwing you for any fucking penny they can get out of you.

£50 isn't too bad, we had to pay £75 here but when we were house hunting we saw fees of upto £195 for a credit check ! and £475 letting fees.

Letting fees ? It's a piece of fucking paper with a signature on it, how the fuck does it cost £475 ? considering the fact that every month you get paid you take a nice little slice for yourselves before the landlord gets paid for doing fuck all !
    It's fairly normal, and you should be glad that it's only £50. Around here the letting agents charge half of one month's rent + VAT as an administration charge.

Sadly there's nowt you can do about it, unless you want to argue and risk losing the house.

This is why I hate estate agents and would gladly execute them all.
    We had to pay £200!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Go through a private landlord and there will be no fees. Estate agents seem to require at least £100 for photocopying a few contracts, mind you, taking into account how long they actually take to get it all sorted the fee probably doesn't even cover the cost of employing the halfwits anyway
    Oh my god i had no idea. Thank god it's only £50. Probably cuz it's a student house.
    Yeah i had always gone straight to the landlords before but I couldn't find any student houses this late from the landlords.
    Does going through an estate agency have any advantages for the tenants? Like some sort of protection if the landlord is completely shit or anything?
    Actually the fees are totalling £300.... cuz it's £50 each and there's 6 of us.
    Nice for them to do this to students....
    We got charged £250 each and have been continually messed around and ripped off by both the letting agents and the landlords. Be very glad it's only £50...
    I have never paid a fee, and I've lived in a lot of different places. I think it's a rip off and I would rather deal directly with a landlord.