Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anoyyed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In every job I ever have will I always get taken advantage of? Not by the management, but by my co-workers. So far, they're all too happy to lounge around when we're snowed under with work, yet piss off at 4.55. Sometimes they stand around waiting for each other when it's obvious there's things to do (all the staff leave at 5). While I stay a bit later to try to finish the work, and then put everything away (because, that's too hard), I come in in the morning and they'll take their phones off the hook, and do the easy work that get your stats up stupidly quick. They're temporary staff and have productivity ratings of like, 150%. The stats arent perfect, and you're only given 2 minutes towards your daily target for every call you take, whereas for one bit of work you're given 10. We only get about 30 of these a day though, and they take the whole lot and split it between the two of them!

Today I was taking calls all day whilst they were just sitting there with the phones off (discretely, so the manager didn't bollock them) doing the easy work. It's supposed to balance out in the end but it's doing my head in. I actually care about the customers too, and will go out of my way, and they just fob them off.

It was the same at my last job too, my colleague would flirt with this girl behind the deli counter and I got bollocked for not working fast enough when I was the only one doing it.

I'm just annoyed now and will this always be the way. People say it's a dog eat dog world, and if I want to get a good job in a good company is 'being nice' and trying to do things properly, staying late, etc. etc. actually going to get me there? Or is it just going to make it easier for the people who grind their stats whilst ignoring service and let me do the 'dirty work' that takes more than 2 brain cells to do.

:grump:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    stay mr nice, work as hard as you do, act in more of a managerial way though- team leader style, and try to tell them what you want them to be doing.
    We're only temping lol.

I just get annoyed because it looks bad on me when it appears I've done hardly any work all day when we put the stats up, and that I have to tidy up at the end of the day anyway because they run off home.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    We're only temping lol.

If you're temping then why do you care so much? Thats the beauty of temping! You fanny around all day and leave at 5.00 on the dot without giving a shit about what happens after that

It was the same at my last job too, my colleague would flirt with this girl behind the deli counter and I got bollocked for not working fast enough when I was the only one doing it.

Also in this case stand up for yourself and tell them how it really is
    Yeah chill out its only temping...

Dont worry about things so much. You have got a lifetime to be stressing about stats and all that shit.

If you cant beat em, join in. :thumb:
    i agree why give a toss, in hindsight i took my temp job far too seriously after uni and chilled out after a few months.....no harm done unless you're pushing for promotion or summit.

and it's annoyed btw

*pedant mode off*
    I know how it's spelt, it was a typo* (typoed typo), you can't edit titles :p. And even if I could, I couldn't be bothered.

If it's worth doing something, it's worth doing it properly, not only when 'pushing for a promotion'. Otherwise nobody would ever get anything done.

If it's worth doing something, it's worth doing it properly, not only when 'pushing for a promotion'. Otherwise nobody would ever get anything done.

Thats all very noble, but wise up. Play the game.

:thumb:
    on the other hand he is likely to get better references than his colleagues, as long as the boss notices. do you have a supervisor that you could mention this to? if so try and put it in a non-whiney way.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Thats all very noble, but wise up. Play the game.

Hahaha

Seriously, of course thats the best way to be in a perfect world. Buf if you're getting shat on then don't just struggle on. Ifs not your business to worry about whether everyone else is doing the work, its the managers above you. If nothing is getting done then its their problem and they obviously don't give a fuck or they would have licked you all into shape by now. Don't be excessively lazy and just do your share and certainly don't stress out about it

A job is always worth doing well, but don't go out of your way to do the jobs of everyone else too. Make sure you're doing well, and the rest will take care of itself.

The problem with being good at something, though, is that you end up clearing up the mess of everyone else. It was uncanny how I always got the difficult and fucked-up conveyancing cases in my last job, because half my colleagues couldn't count to ten. But hey, I got the fat payrise, and they got the P45.

temping is about doing the minimum amount of work, though, so why bust a gut for everyone else? If people are dumping all the work on you complain.