Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Driving

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For anyone who's a new driver, or who's been driving for a while for that matter, does driving ever freak you out? I've been driving for a few months, but I drive a lot because we live in the middle of nowhere, and I've had one near-miss in that time, and it completely freaked me out. Mainly because it was my fault, and it shook me up, but it made me realise how much expensive damage I could do :nervous: I also managed to curb my car today, which took a chunk out of the tyre and so I need to buy a new one. It's difficult to explain, but I sometimes feel as if driving a car is too much responsibility for me. I've got a fairly good car too, and I'm so worried about damaging it. Does anyone else feel like this? Or is it just because I'm new to driving? I probably just need more confidence.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I feel like that in my lessons, i've had people overtake me on sharp corners only to have a lorry pulling out just around it and taking up the whole road. I'd be lost without my instructor and his dual controls. Saying that though I'm not sure how much he's still helping me out. It's the decision making i find difficult. Or i'll forget certain rules etc. My mind goes blank.
    sometimes i can think 'oh fuck i could easily be wiped out or wipe someone else out'

like sometimes driving up over the backroads and im goin up one side of this little country lane in my wee motor and theres a big fuck off lorry bombing down the road on the other side and i'll get a shiver up my spine just thinking of what could happen he was to lose control and swerve into me or something :nervous:

but the majority of the time id be your cocky over confident driver .. like a lot of males tend to be
    It doesn't seem to bother me too much. Sometimes it can be scary when you think about it. In March a girl I know died in a car crash and that freaked me out a bit. I drove everywhere at about 40/50mph worrying I might die before my birthday or something.

I'd be more confident if I had a better car I reckon. Slow drivers piss me off and I just want a car I can floor and over take within 3 seconds rather than about 10 and risk a lorry coming head on towards me.
    Don't worry I used to feel this a lot. I used to feel like I was dangerous and shouldn't have a car and that I was shit. Its been 6 months since I passed my test and I'm much more confident now. Don't worry it'll pass, just don't push yourself too hard - if you're not comfortable driving somewhere then don't do it - wait until you feel confident.

I've had a few hairy moments, but I've had a lot more that wern't my fault! Don't worry about it - learn from your mistakes and move on.

(Did you hit the curb parking? Don't worry about that - parking is the devil. I broke all the wheel trims in my fiesta, I'm worried about my new ka - argh. If you hit it going fast hmm thats not so good, but again its not the end of the world!)
    No...when I was younger and taking lessons (17 years old) I didn't like driving much and I think I lacked confidence. But I'm 23 now and I have my 1st test in a month and I'm a bit too cocky actually! I drive my mum's car about for practice and get road rage lol.
    It's a worse when you're driving someone else's brand new vehicle worth tens of thousands of pounds :p

Nah, those near misses teach you a lot. Like it or not, most of us will experience some sort of bump at some point, mostly minor. You just have to keep going and remember to concentrate whilst driving and try not to become complacent. In my opinion most accidents are caused by lack of concentration or agressive driving.
    Did anyone watch that Crash Scene Investigators last night? It was quite interesting.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Sometimes when I've had a big smoke and necked a few pills following a heavy drinking session I get a bit freaked out whilst driving.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    Sometimes when I've had a big smoke and necked a few pills following a heavy drinking session I get a bit freaked out whilst driving.

Don't we all :p
    Skive wrote: »

I took my second ever driving lesson on pills! That was freaky! :nervous:

No I'm not as stupid as it sounds lol, there is a story behind why it happened!
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I took my second ever driving lesson on pills! That was freaky! :nervous:

ROFL you nutter, did you pass?
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yes.

I have freaked out a few times. The biggest freaking outs I have had though have mainly been due to the floods. I had to drive through one huge flood and then I got stuck in mad traffic that night too.

I also had a really arsey driver who cut me up. I *did* cut him up by accident and apologised, but he decided to then drive in front of me, make me brake and slow down to less than 10 miles an hour. He kept speeding up and slowing down, making rude gestures with his kids in the back seat. Cos he's never made an error while driving :yeees:
    I stalled the car at some traffic lights and a van behind me started beeping and cursing at me. Despite having learner plastered all over the car and the sign on top. So my instructor stuck his finger up at him. We drove through and he had to wait. :p
    There are times. Usually the heart skips a beat, little scared, then the anger usually takes over. Usually after I do a huge curbcheck because I'm afraid I'll lose another hubcap (almost 2 years without a loss yet!) My road rage blocks out most scared feelings. Never been that scared though. A month or so after I got my license, I totaled my first car, freaking out then, but later that day so many people kept saying, well don't be afraid, most people will have accidents, its nothing to worry about, you have to get back in and try... and I was just confused because I wasn't wary about driving again :p But several accidents and one more total later, nothing really gets me anything but angry on the road anymore ;)
    Ballerina wrote: »
    I stalled the car at some traffic lights and a van behind me started beeping and cursing at me

Why do they do that!!! Its so obvious its going to put the learner off even more and probably stall again!
    Everyone freaks out sometimes.

I shat myself today when someone coming the other way on a single-carriageway road started to overtake a tractor just as I approached at 65mph. Half-knackered a new pair of boots avoiding the cunt, too, I'm not impressed.
    Yep, I've freaked out on more than one occasion. Driving at night seems to make it worse for me. I hate having someone behind you with their lights glaring at you, not bothering to keep a proper distance. One night, there was one person who was doing this constantly - no matter where I went, he went as well, and he just wouldn't keep a gap, nor would be try and overtake me when I deliberately slowed down to let him. I almost crashed several times that night.

Stalling the car? Done that countless times at junctions. It's usually caused by a "let's get out of here quickly" mentality. It's a busy junction, you have to get out quickly before you lose your chance and get stuck in yet more traffic. In the process, you panic and stall. As I'm discovering, all you have to do is plan ahead as much as you can, and don't approach junctions too quickly!
    I get freaked out about other people. I completely trust myself but not other road users! I've not had an accident in the three and a half years I've been driving though!
    kangoo wrote: »
    Why do they do that!!! Its so obvious its going to put the learner off even more and probably stall again!

I know! It's not like it wasn't obvious - because he was born with his licence! :rolleyes:
    My instructors response and getting through the lights and making him wait made up for it though, we drove off laughing!
    other drivers worry me, but not to any extent. Im a confident driver. Think the fact that i drove millions of different cars when i was learning helped, petrol, diesel, automatic, 4x4, sports cars, people carriers. Certainly a confidence giver.

I passed my driving test 6yrs ago yesterday. I feel old(at 23!!!)
    Sikorah wrote: »
    other drivers worry me, but not to any extent. Im a confident driver. Think the fact that i drove millions of different cars when i was learning helped, petrol, diesel, automatic, 4x4, sports cars, people carriers. Certainly a confidence giver.

I passed my driving test 6yrs ago yesterday. I feel old(at 23!!!)

how did you manage that then
    my boyfriend at the time bought and sold cars, and also worked at a garage doing the car and van hire so i drove everything under his motor traders insurance.