Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

And the winner is....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Everyone looking forward to the new anti-smoking pictures being selected later today?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hmmm, Im sensing a business oppotunity to sell little desinger covers for your fag box, which cover up the pictures and warnings. :chin:

I mean if we government didnt put warnings and shocking pictures over the packets, people might begin to think ciggrettes are healthy :rolleyes:
    Why don't they consider putting pictures on bottles of booze too? Pics of old soaks with firey red faces and noses, body parts strewn all over the road after drink/drive incidents .. and closeup shots of images of sclerosis'd livers? :)
    Teagan wrote: »
    Why don't they consider putting pictures on bottles of booze too? Pics of old soaks with firey red faces and noses, body parts strewn all over the road after drink/drive incidents .. and closeup shots of images of sclerosis'd livers? :)

No, that would well put me off my pint :D
    Calvin wrote: »
    No, that would well put me off my pint :D

Hahah yeah

But after working in a bar you see what the beer does to your shoes - it literally rots them away. Wonder what it does to your insides :nervous:
    Can we expect graphic pictures on voting ballots showing what can happen if we vote for certain political parties?
    Here we are then. Whadda ya think?

27687_2.jpg

27686_2.jpg

27688_2.jpg

27689_2.jpg

27690_2.jpg
    Will these be on cigarette packs?
    Yep. Also, I didn't realise the age was going up to 18 next month. Is that right? Just heard it on the radio.
    Yep. Also, I didn't realise the age was going up to 18 next month. Is that right? Just heard it on the radio.

Fuck sake, that first one would almost make me wanna quit.

Alllllllllllmost! wanna quit. :p
    As much as I am against smoking, that is way over the top.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Fuck sake, that first one would almost make me wanna quit.

It looks quite tasty to me. Looks like some sort of BBQd meat.
    What is the 3rd one?
    kangoo wrote: »
    What is the 3rd one?

Throat cancer.
    Please, please someone let me some money so I can start a cigarette pack designer 'jacket' company.

Slip jacket onto packet of fags= problem solved.

A fortune to be made there I reckon.
    :lol:
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Please, please someone let me some money so I can start a cigarette pack designer 'jacket' company.

Dont go knicking my idea. Its pateted now! :D

Always knew you were a capitalist at heart ;)
    Sorry guys, it's been done! As have imitation stickers saying "Smoking makes you look cool" and suchlike.

I don't see how these are going to help.
    This is getting ridicilous, frankly. Why do we need so many graphic pictures on everything? What next? Are we going to force McDonalds to print pictures of morbidly obese people saying "Eating our shit will make you look like this"?

In any case, there are far fewer people smoking nowadays than back in the 1960s, back in the days when cigarettes were good for you, and Muffin The Mule was a cartoon and not a criminal offence.
    Aw man, that third one is yak - don't want that. Will these designs make it onto the packets of baccy that can be had from the bloke down the pub though? I pray not, lol.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    This is getting ridicilous, frankly. Why do we need so many graphic pictures on everything? What next? Are we going to force McDonalds to print pictures of morbidly obese people saying "Eating our shit will make you look like this"?

You already see that in front of you in the queue every time you walk into one.
    You already see that in front of you in the queue every time you walk into one.
    Yep. But you see that every time you join a queue in a shop or in a bank too. There's always one fat bastard in the queue who can light up any room by simply moving away from the window.
    Can we expect graphic pictures on voting ballots showing what can happen if we vote for certain political parties?

I think you offer a very valid point. I would say it is very probable that all perceived good things have a down side, and so in the interest of fairness and full disclosure, wouldn't that involve presenting the negative side.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander,and all that.

To add to your example, how about the military recruiting adverts that sell the positive having to include images of the negatives in order to give a fuller picture of what you may be letting yourself in for if you decide to indulge in such activities ?

e.g. http://www.antiwar.com/photos/perm/The+Face+of+War.jpg

http://dahrjamailiraq.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album32&id=24_G
    I don't know where to start with this one.

Either the Gov't thinks people are too stupid to be able to read the warnings on packets and thus believes that without such totally in-your-face warnings that people might think smoking is really, really good for you. Which I doubt. Because anyone that stupid doesn't deserve to live.

Or, they've got spare cash knocking around that they could use to save an A&E department somewhere or buy some books for schools. But no, they've spent it, as usual, on something no-body wants, and no-body needs. The money probably came from tabacco taxes in the first place.

These constant erosions of smokers' rights, coupled with a very clever PR campaign which has managed to persuade even intelligent articulate people that smokers are evil, naughty, incapable of raising children, fund terrorism and are generally bad eggs is quite frankly disgusting. Either ban smoking or leave us the fuck alone because until they ban smoking outright, there can be no excuse for making us feel like social pariahs.
    I wonder how long it'll be before taking the last sup of a pint reveals a picture of a diseased liver?
    I wonder how long it'll be before taking the last sup of a pint reveals a picture of a diseased liver?

It does seem fair though if they're doing it to fags.
    It does seem fair though if they're doing it to fags.

I agree. If you're fine with it happening on fags then you've got no cause for complaint when chocolate bars start appearing with pictures of clogged arteries on them.
    I agree. If you're fine with it happening on fags then you've got no cause for complaint when chocolate bars start appearing with pictures of clogged arteries on them.

Nice.

Surely they should just have the written warning and that's it. Surely people who smoke already know the risks?
    In America cigarette packets just have a small written warning on the side of the packet. No big bold black letters and no images. Do Americans not know that smoking can seriously damage health? Do Americans not know that smoking can increase the risks of lung cancer? Warnings on cigarette packets aren't necessary fullstop. The dangers of smoking are well publicised. The anti-smoking message kicks in young, it's part of the national curriculum even - and well, there is hardly anybody who doesn't know that smoking can be harmful. The only purpose I can see of warnings on packets is as a disclaimer for tobacco companies not wanting to get sued. Adults don't need a patronising reminder of the risks of smoking on every cigarette packet.

These images are just the latest part of plans to increasingly ostracise smokers and harass those who enjoy smoking. The ban was one attempt to force smokers into conforming, this is yet another. Still, yet another reason for smokers to do everything possible to avoid buying cigarettes in a country that relies on them for tax revenue, whilst treating them like shit (and having some of the highest taxes in the world on tobacco).

Someone will make a lot of money making cheap cigarette cases and distributing them to newsagents/supermarkets/etc.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Surely they should just have the written warning and that's it. Surely people who smoke already know the risks?

Well you'd think that but apparently they don't. Thus we need pictures of diseased lungs on fag packets.

I personally think they should paint giant warnings on the side of cars saying how much they damage the environment (to which smoking's impact on the world pales in comparison).

All I'm asking is a little fairness and balance. Sadly, however, when it comes to smoking/smokers, fairness and balance are two things rarely present at the debate.
    The only purpose I can see of warnings on packets is as a disclaimer for tobacco companies not wanting to get sued

Actually the first warnings that appeared were because of an act of Congress, not the Tabacco companies wanting to cover their arses.
    These images are just the latest part of plans to increasingly ostracise smokers and harass those who enjoy smoking. The ban was one attempt to force smokers into conforming, this is yet another. Still, yet another reason for smokers to do everything possible to avoid buying cigarettes in a country that relies on them for tax revenue, whilst treating them like shit (and having some of the highest taxes in the world on tobacco).

The irony is that were everyone in this country to give up/buy nothing but pirated fags, £11bn would disappear from the economy and trouble would then ensue.