Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bankruptcy question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can a Bankruptcy hearing go ahead if the necessary papers have not been served on me?

Comments

• PearlyPearly Posts: 345 The Mix Regular
    This article may have what you are looking for

Bankruptcy

If not, you could contact askTheSite for a CAB expert to help you with your query...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you received a Statutory Demand?

Edited to say - is this still on behalf of your mate?

Yes it's still for my landlord. Apparently some bailiff keeps coming to the door for him (I'm usually out) wanting him to sign some papers. He isn't going to be back until the first week of October - I called the bailiff and told him this but he didn't sound all that bothered.
    If the person is uncontactable then a bankruptcy can still go ahead, providing that the creditor can show that they have taken all reasonable steps to serve it on the person. This can, and sometimes does, include posting the statutory demand in the classified section of a national newspaper.

If you know where your mate is, tell him what's happening.

ETA: Also, the bankruptcy article could do with some serious amending. There's no mention of the correct deposit fee (£335), or the fact that you can have the £150 court fee remitted if you can show that having to pay it would cause financial hardship, or the fact that if the debts are as a result of gambling, fraud, or taking credit out when insolvent then you can be made subject to a bankruptcy restriction order which can extend your bankruptcy to up to 15 years.