Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

weekend nazis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone watch it?

was on bbc1 at 8.30-9

report by john sweeney in the times too!
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2327844.ece

some of the views were dispicable, i don't think the symbols should be banned but their ideas should be challeneged

eta - i think they should forward on the tapes to the german constitutional police :p

Comments

• Options
    Its no suprise that some reenactors have dodgy views, and I'm sure some people have joined it because there neo-nazis

But Sweeney seems to be muddled up between the Waffen SS and those involved in concentration camps et al. The Waffen SS (with a few exceptions) weren't much worse than normal Heer and were involved in combat, rather than policing.

I can see why people don't want, on a day out, to have defend their views to John Sweeney, probably scared he'll shout

Though I particually like this quote
    Sweeney: “But the SS was a Nazi fighting machine that went around killing people.”

Yes, John, armies do tend to kill people in war-time. You could say it's in the job description.

Its a bit of non-story IMHO.
  • Options
    What Flashman said.

Didn't watch the programme but on principle I don't see anything wrong with battle recreations even if it involves people representing the Nazis. It doesn't need to mean they sympathise with their views at all.

Of course one or two symathisers might be there for different reasons but so long as the act itself isn't glorifying the Nazis then who cares?
  • Options
    There were some racist pricks at the reenactments. I thought the show was quite dull.
  • Options
    Reminds me of that episode of Peep Show :D
  • Options
    Its no suprise that some reenactors have dodgy views, and I'm sure some people have joined it because there neo-nazis

But Sweeney seems to be muddled up between the Waffen SS and those involved in concentration camps et al. The Waffen SS (with a few exceptions) weren't much worse than normal Heer and were involved in combat, rather than policing.

I can see why people don't want, on a day out, to have defend their views to John Sweeney, probably scared he'll shout

Though I particually like this quote

Yes, John, armies do tend to kill people in war-time. You could say it's in the job description.

Its a bit of non-story IMHO.

if you watched the program, the leader of the group of plays the SS told all his members to shut up - when john sweeney was initally asking on why they ignore the fact the waffen SS killed pows etc to the point hey don't care, it's not THAT hard a question to answer

the german guy in the end was pretty scary, so was one of the guys who talked about how there was 'coons' he thought were really nice guys, but given the option to kill them all he would

the story, after having a read wasn't as dodgy as the program but the organisers and the renactments leadership were looking into allegations of their members as they are a non-political body
  • Options
    the german guy in the end was pretty scary, so was one of the guys who talked about how there was 'coons' he thought were really nice guys, but given the option to kill them all he would

It wasn't to kill them, it was to ship them off.

Though it does show how stupid and blind these people are.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    It wasn't to kill them, it was to ship them off.

Though it does show how stupid and blind these people are.

no he didn't say that :s

he said in the context of them existing or not :s

and the other section earlier quoted was
    SS Floppy: “We don’t represent the SS as such. We’re an armoured division.”

Sweeney: “But the SS was a Nazi fighting machine that went around killing people.”

SS Floppy: “I don’t know about Nazi — I’m Jewish.” He did not volunteer the name of his rabbi.

Sweeney: “But the SS did commit massacres. If you’re going to do this you should do it accurately.”

SS Floppy called out to an officer on the other side of the scout car for help, not realising the full magic of television. Our sound man moved his boom microphone and picked up every word: “F****** get rid of him, Glen, because I’m going to f****** whack him otherwise.”
  • Options
    if you watched the program, the leader of the group of plays the SS told all his members to shut up - when john sweeney was initally asking on why they ignore the fact the waffen SS killed pows etc to the point hey don't care, it's not THAT hard a question to answer

the story, after having a read wasn't as dodgy as the program but the organisers and the renactments leadership were looking into allegations of their members as they are a non-political body

Well I can see it be bloody irritating when a journo comes in and starts asking stupid questions. Its not like there reenacting Ourador-sur-Glane.

Its a bit like going up to Cromwellian Sealed Knot re-enactors and asking why there being involved with re-enacting an army who were involved in the massacre at Drogheda

And frankly the remarks they made are made in pubs the length and breadth of the land.

OK it may not be nice, but its hardly earth shattering...
  • Options
    And another brilliant quote
    SS Floppy: “I don’t know about Nazi — I’m Jewish.” He did not volunteer the name of his rabbi.

Any reason why he would feel to give the name of his Rabbi to John Sweeney? Is JS going to pop round to the Rabbi and check whether the bloke is a Jew?

I hate to say the Scientologists have a point, but I can see why they recorded him...
  • Options
    NB The SS weren't the only force who killed POWs
  • Options
    NB The SS weren't the only force who killed POWs

yup i know, i don't try to avoid that as a topic though
  • Options
    Was Prince Harry in it?
  • Options
    Hello

is there someone who knows where i can see these delivery online? I have see it her in the Netherlands but not compleet.

Thanks
    Stefan
  • Options
    ^^^^

Translation?

Does anyone know where this chap can watch it online because he only saw part of it in Holland...

Youtube sometimes, but it might be a bit quick for that
  • Options
    ^^^^

Translation?

Does anyone know where this chap can watch it online because he only saw part of it in Holland...

Youtube sometimes, but it might be a bit quick for that

Thanks for translation
  • Options
    Pretending to be a Nazi by dressing up and shouting bang at someone with a fake rifle during a battle re-enactment is not the same as actually being a Nazi sympathiser and spouting off about killing minorities e.t.c.

Besides, everyone loves being the baddy, I know I root for the Empire in the Star Wars movies. The rebels winning is so utterly unbelieveable. :D
  • Options
    DZAMA wrote: »

That's all I could - look. Understand? Now that's something different ....
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    Besides, everyone loves being the baddy, I know I root for the Empire in the Star Wars movies. The rebels winning is so utterly unbelieveable. :D

I'm not sure Star Wars is meant to be believable ;)