Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

FAO: knitters that travel lots

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
can i take circular needles on the plane?

i have been told yes, but i need comfirmation before i pack my handluggage

(and yes i know that this is the wrong forum but i need a quick responce as i'm leaving at 1am tonight!)

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I think it can vary depending on airlines. I also have a funny feeling that you can't take metal needles on planes but plastic are ok?

I can't find anything on BAs website but other airlines may have more information.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    ryan air say no
    I wouldent've thought you could take them, given the right amount of force they could go straight through someone's neck :P
    Hellfire wrote: »
    ryan air say no
    on circular as well?

thats bloody annoying cos i can only put so many books into my handluggage....

anyway, i shall be off soon, i need to eat and sleep seeing as i'm getting up at 2 ish
    Is there a website for restrictions? Not that it matters, TSA allowes them, but no full bottles of shampoo or throwing stars. I would have assumed yes, but I trust Rachie ;)
    rachie004 wrote: »
    You can't have them on any plane

It's true, you can't. Definitely not flying out from Leeds Bradford, anyway. I had a giant plastic crochet hook confiscated (obv lest I crochet weapons with which to hijack the plane) :(

Put them in the case you're checking in :yes:
    My friend had her bamboo knitting needles confiscated at the airport. It seems silly really as you can take a pen and pencil on, surely they are about as dangerous in terms of poking potential?
    I was wondering about that, too, 'cos mine are bamboo, but I've never risked trying. *sigh*

And yes, Rachie, they are the ones you can strangle people with!
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    rachie004 wrote: »
    Am I'm right in thinking that circular needles are just about the same as normal needles but with a bit of wire connecting them?

If so then not only do they have the sharp pointy bits for stabbing people with but also the facility to strangle people!

I did my security recurrents last week and circular needles was something that came up, but as usual, what would I know!

Don't believe you. You know nothing :p

I do really, I'm just stirring!