Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

packed lunch ideas

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
anyone got any suggestions about what i can do for packed lunches cause ham sandwich, peice of fruit and a biscuit is really boring

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    prepare a salad of your choice the night before to take in or maybe make up a wrap instead of a sarnie.
    I'm taking some carrot sticks and pitta bread with hummous. Not the most healthy thing ever, but so yummeh, and better than white bread and processed ham.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    If you have a microwave at work then you have a million and one possibilities. Make extra for dinner and take it for lunch.

Otherwise, sandwiches are versatile. Have lots of different sandwiches - chicken salad, cheese and pickle etc. If you get bored of bread then make a salad - either a pasta based one or a lettuce based one.

We have a toaster at work so I quite often have crumpets or a couple of slices of toast or similar.

Or sometimes I cheat and get an oh so yummy ( :yeees: ) school dinner :yum:
    i used to make a packed lunch for the hubby, i used to make two of the following:

fruit salad
    regular salad
    soup
    pasta salad
    potato salad

and then make him a sandwich and crisps/carrot sticks. You probably wont need as much but he works up to 14hours sometimes so i made sure he had enough.
    I used to take:
    Pasta or rice
    Yoghurt
    Rice Cakes
    2 pieces of fruit (normally apple & banana)
    Kermit wrote: »
    I'm taking some carrot sticks and pitta bread with hummous. Not the most healthy thing ever, but so yummeh, and better than white bread and processed ham.

I dunno I reckon that can be classed as healthy! Especially if you have wholemeal pitta and low fat hummous and some nice salad with it. Chickpeas are good for you too.
    Dairylea Dunkers. :yum:

Packed with added goodness

:p
    lipsy wrote: »
    I dunno I reckon that can be classed as healthy! Especially if you have wholemeal pitta and low fat hummous and some nice salad with it. Chickpeas are good for you too.

I do, I hate white bread.

I shall pretend its healthy and feel better for being healthy. And although its so fatty, at least its good fat.
    Kermit wrote: »
    I do, I hate white bread.

I shall pretend its healthy and feel better for being healthy. And although its so fatty, at least its good fat.

Hmmm but it's like avocado which has a lot of fat but it's really good for you!
    If you have a microwave you could take soup, beans etc. One woman I worked with came in with 2 slices of cold pizza from pizza hut, she warmed them up in the microwave and they smelt and looked yummy!:yum:

I know alot of people who take salads, pasta, pitta bread with ham/cheese in, rice cakes with philidelphia (sp) on them. I always used to take cup a soup in at winter!
    Soup is good. I'm always one for taking last night dinner with me. You could mix up the sandwich and do a pita, theres crackers or crisps for a little snack. Yogurt. Especially yummy flavored ones like chocolate. Salads and soups, as some have said. YOu can always make a few different soups and freeze them. Theres always personal things in the freezer section like pizza's or egg rolls, but that might be limiting depending on your taste for soggy food ;) Alot of dry things you can make if you have a coffee maker there, just use the hot water and mix yourself up some luncy goodness.
    Last night I made up a big bowl of Moroccan couscous and added a load of courgettes, mushrooms, red pepper, cherry tomatoes and sweetcorn and bunged it in the fridge. That should do for at least 3 lunches (I'm trying to be healthy and save some money). I've also got a fruitbowl on my desk at work...with nectarines, bananas and a mango in it...and have brought in carrots and low-fat houmous and a pack of Activia yoghurts to have as snacks. We'll see how long the health kick lasts...
    Vary the fruit - maybe grapes or tangerines, not just apples/bananas? Babybel cheese is easily transportable, and so are Nutrigrain bars. Bring yoghurts as well, maybe the snack-size Mueller ones?
    Def vary sandwich fillings - I'm liking cheese and celery atm!