Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Online Banking

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm thinking for registering for online banking with my bank, because it's more convenient to receive my statements by email and it's good to be able to look at my account anytime. However my Dad insists it not safe, and tells me how he is constantly hearing stories about people losing all their money. But his view is slightly bias, seeing as he doesn't trust anything on the internet, even ordering things online. So I wondering what are your experiences? Good idea or bad idea?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've done many things online for probably 4/5 years now from online banking at my regular bank, accounts from online-only banks and online for all my credit cards. Never had any problems. Sometimes I get mad because I like to fat finger things and can never remember my passwords and its a pain in the ass trying to get any help, but I guess thats a good thing ;)

I love it, the convience can't be beat and I wouldn't want it the other way! I mostly like how you can check the balances and all that immediatly. It makes keeping track of putchases and "balancing the checkbook" much easier too.

Plus, if you ever were worried, when you sign up they'll probably give you a big ol book of what they do to protect your security and what you can do/the bank will do for you if anything should happen.
    i use online banking with barclays and have never had a problem

a couple of months ago someone in birmingham tried to hack my account but barclays blocked it and just issued me a new account number

don't how i would cope without it sometimes :)
    i use BOS for online banking and never ever had a problem, it is safe unless your an idiot.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I, personally, have never used online banking as I was too lazy to set it up. However, I know of a lot of people who use it with absolutely no problems.

Also, for the record, I was a victim of banking fraud. They got my details using a machine on an ATM. Bank fraud can happen to anyone - not just those who use online banking.
    I use internet banking and it is so much better!
    Umm..I can just transfer money over online instead of heading into the bank which was great when I was living with my mates and one person was sorting out the bills.

No statements comes to my house so my parents can no longer see how overdrawn I am...

If you're about to buy stuff online (I buy a lot of tickets) you can quickly pop on and see if you have enough money etc...

I don't see how there's a lot of fraud, I trust it more than putting my PIN in a machine infront of everyone.

There are about 5 codes you have to put in as well ebfore you cna actually access it (maybe I'm exagerrating) but for Natwest you have a customer number and a password. For Nationwide I have a customer number, password, passnumber and other word that I have to memorise then you have to put like the 3rd, 6th and 8th letter/number in.

Just go along and do it anyway, you cna still have you statements sent to you and you're Dad would never know you even have it.
    I use internet banking and have never had aproblem with it. Apart from the time when I managed to lock my online account because I'd forgotten the password and kept typing the wrong one in. :rolleyes:
    So long as you follow basic rules you will be fine -

1. Never ever click on any links from emails you might get asking you to "update your account", "verify your details", "security update" or whatever. (This goes for any site really but for banks especially). This are 99% bogus emails, and the 1% that is true you would find out about by going to your online bank yourself by typing in the address or using a favourite.

2. Don't give out your details.

3. Use a firewall program.

4. If you use wireless internet, make sure it is secured.

Follow that, and you should be ok. Remember that a lot of banks give "online fraud guarantees" and state that you won't be held liable for losses through online fraud.

Also as littlemissy said, offline fraud is far more common.
    Mist wrote: »
    So long as you follow basic rules you will be fine -

1. Never ever click on any links from emails you might get asking you to "update your account", "verify your details", "security update" or whatever. (This goes for any site really but for banks especially). This are 99% bogus emails, and the 1% that is true you would find out about by going to your online bank yourself by typing in the address or using a favourite.

The bank I'm with (Lloyds TSB) did once say that if it was really them emailing me, then they'd address me and wouldn't ask for any details as they'd already have them.
    I use RBS internet banking, and its top IMO.
    I couldn't live without online banking! It is so useful, especially in this past few months when I've needed to keep a good eye on my finances, due to having next to no money :)
    I have HSBC online banking, which I couldnt live without. I hate going into the branch and waiting in a queue for ages to see someone.

I have never had any problems with security or fraud with online banking. Must say the majority of people I know use HSBC for online banking, simply because its the best :D
    I'm with First Direct, but frankly given how long it takes them to answer the phone my computer wouldnt have turned on by the time I could have the thing done over the phone.
    I started using internet at the beginning of the year and I love it. It makes me life so much easier and I can transfer money and make payments so much mre quicker. As long as your sensible regarding you passwords, not replying to any bank emails etc then your no more at risk then anyone else from fraud.
    I've been using Online banking for 5 years now and have never ever had a problem not with any of my accounts.

I only wish I could stop them all sending me bank/credit card statements, they're cluttering up my house and I never read them!
    Asta wrote: »
    I only wish I could stop them all sending me bank/credit card statements, they're cluttering up my house and I never read them!

Is there not an option in your accounts setting thing?
    Sofie wrote: »
    Is there not an option in your accounts setting thing?
    not on Natwest there isn't nor on Virgin Money, all my savings accounts are mostly paper free now.
    Sofie wrote: »
    I use internet banking and have never had aproblem with it. Apart from the time when I managed to lock my online account because I'd forgotten the password and kept typing the wrong one in. :rolleyes:

Yeah I did that too :blush:
    I never really used mine but my bf and sister use their on line banking all the time and have never had any problems!
    I use online banking with Halifax. I've never had any problems and find it so much more convenient. I barely use a cash point at all. If I'm buying anything in town I'll use my card and if I need to check my balance I do it online.

The only time I use a cash point is when I'm out at night half-cut. THAT'S a hell of a lot more risky than online banking!

Also, it's not just a username and password, there's usually other security measures too.