Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I quit my job

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Handed in a letter of resignation on Saturday (well, left it on my bosses desk).

I have given 4 weeks notice, have no job to go to. I know it's risky but I just couldn't bear it any more.

Does anyone have any advice? I'm a little worried I won't be able to find anything, I've got rent and bills to pay and don't think I'm entitled to any benefits.

Don't know what I want to do with my life, I'm old, I should know by now.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You should be entitled to JSA. Best thing to do would be to talk to someone at the job centre.
    Just found a document about JSA. Pretty helpful. I don't want to sign on but I may need to for a few weeks at least.
    Could you temp? Even if its just for a few months while you try and sort out another permenant job. Worth popping into somewhere like Reed before you finish your notice, as they can line something up for you to start asap after your last day.

Because when I signed up it still took three weeks to get a placement.
    Sofie wrote: »
    You should be entitled to JSA. Best thing to do would be to talk to someone at the job centre.

She won't be entitled to JSA because she left volunatrily.

You phone up agencies and see what they have. The students will be going back to uni now so there will be plenty of vacancies. You might have to expect a drop in wage though.

don't you ahve any idea of what kind fo thing you want to do? Study? Trainign course? Travel?
    I am going to try some agencies. I've temped before and have generally been placed very quickly. I'm earning quite a crap wage now so any wage won't make much difference. I'm not really bothered about money, I've been so unhappy and my health has been affected.

Apparently I may be entitled to JSA. It's not as simple as saying you don't get any because you left voluntarily, it depends on the circumstances. :)
    Hi I did the same thing last year, I had enough and couldn't take anymore. Was very scary at the time but turned out to be a good move, I now have a new job where I am very happy! It took me about 4 months to find a new job and I had a bit of money saved so it was ok. Good thinking regarding the job seekers allowance, also if you have any old stuff you want sell on ebay thats a good way of getting a bit of pocket money. Apparently it is easier to get a new job while you are still employed, so I guess it would be advisable to get applications and cv's going out now!
    katchika wrote: »

Apparently I may be entitled to JSA. It's not as simple as saying you don't get any because you left voluntarily, it depends on the circumstances. :)

Totally does - things that amount to constructive idsmissal mean you are entitled I'm sure. And if it's you I'm thinking of, who has that maths problem, and then gets harrassed over maths related work things, I think that would/should count. Get onto the benefits people asap though, some things take a few weeks to get through the system. If you get jsa, that'll entitle you to housing and council tax benefit too- probably not enough to cover a full rent on your own place if you're under 25? but enough to keep you out of the shit for a little while.
    Good on you is all I can say. It's scary, but you've done the right thing. If I didn't have debts coming out of my ears, I would do the very same right now. Sooooo sick of my job to the point where it's depressing me. Good luck...
    I was absolutely bricking it last night. Couldn't sleep and kept worrying about what would happen when I got in. But it's all been fine. Nobody has been unpleasant about it. I think it's pretty clear this job isn't for me and there is no point trying to force it.

I have been being careful with money lately, and have just about enough to cover my rent and bills for one month without work.

I have a lot of books and clothes that I'd like to sell. eBay is not really an option as I don't have the net at home, but maybe I could do a car boot sale.
    Worst comes to worst get yourself a job at a supermarket, pub, shop etc while you look for something new. Try a call centre, you'll be working within a week and you don't usually have to give notice in the training
    katchika wrote: »
    I have a lot of books and clothes that I'd like to sell. eBay is not really an option as I don't have the net at home, but maybe I could do a car boot sale.

Do you have a friend/family member who could put your items on eBay?
    i wish i could just leave my job because i don't like it.

good luck with finding a new one.
    i wish i could just leave my job because i don't like it.

good luck with finding a new one.

1) It's not as simple as me just leaving because I don't like it.
    2) I expect you could also leave if you really wanted to
    3) Thanks
    yes i could leave if i wanted to but i certainly wouldn't until i had another job lined up. :)
    yes i could leave if i wanted to but i certainly wouldn't until i had another job lined up. :)

It's hard though. I mean looking for a job takes a lot of time, especially with going to interviews. I am a little worried if I find nothing, but I figure I can do temping or bar work to at least get some money coming in.
    tell me about it.. filling out forms takes so long and because the jobs i apply for are all different areas i have to do different personal statements/answer different questions all the time instead of just using the same. :(
    tell me about it.. filling out forms takes so long and because the jobs i apply for are all different areas i have to do different personal statements/answer different questions all the time instead of just using the same. :(

That's certainly what puts me off alot of the time. It's alot of work, especially when 80% of companies can't even be arsed to reply, even if it's a simple rejection letter. It's one of those things that is really gonna kick you down before you actually get what you're after. I wouldn't mind if it was mostly CV's and covering letters, but so many companies seem to send you a 20 page application form. Filling in those really gets me down. I hate the whole thing, but hey, sometimes it's gotta be done...
    You shoulda seen the student loans PN1 form for first years...

Woooah mamma!
    yes i've done those too. but at least you don't have to do a personal statement/answer questions about when you demonstrated a certain attribute for example. :)
    good luck katchika, i did the same thing about a month ago and spent about 3 weeks looking (pretty much everyday) before i found anything decent and then got 2 offers in a week! was a bit risky but my advice would be don't dwell on the idea of being out of work and instead focus on exactly what kind of work you do want and register with as many agencies as necessary asap, sounds like you were a bit smarter than me and have some savings behind you so you'll be fine....