Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is having a crap job a confidence crusher?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I haven't exactly lost confidence, more motivation and spark in life when I do a job thats "below" me. If I'm not challenged at work and pushed then I get bored and that effects the rest of my life style, in that I can't actually be bothered getting the motivation to do anything interesting.

I haven't ever really done a job like that on a permanent basis though, it's always been a temping contract over summer holidays which I've known has had an end to it, still by the end of summer I've not been able to wait to get back to uni.
  • Options
    I'm not necessarily overqualified for my job but it's completely irrelevant to what I want to do in life.

Same here.

I haven't really enjoyed any of the jobs I've done, but the people I've worked with have all been great so I've been quite happy still. But a hell of a lot of the people I deal with when I'm working do consider the likes of me to be the lowest of the low, like I've been brushed off the bottom of their shoe or something. It does really get to me sometimes and I'd love to move on and better myself - and actually give my parents something to be proud of too.

I've got dreams about what I want to do, but it's actually believing I'm capable of making them come true that's hard - and having a crap, soul destroying job gives the self belief a bit of a kicking.
  • Options
    Will you be my friend?

Together we can take on the world, bruvva!
  • Options
    It really pisses me off when people refer to "crap" jobs because to me, there is no such thing as a crap job. Yes, it can't be nice working in an environment you don't like, or with people you don't like, but jobs in themselves are not crap - it's the attitude that's brought to them.
    Surely there are such things as "crap" jobs. Having to be a binman in rundown areas where you come across mice, rats and wasps is a crap job. Being a sewage worker is a crap job. Being on the complaints desk in a call centre being yelled abuse at all day even tho it's not your fault is a crap job...
  • Options
    Sick of my job. I would walk now if I had some money and no debt. Tired of serving higher's who are complete nitwits. Tired of doing work for other people who are too stupid or lazy to do it themselves. Tired of explaining to middle aged women that their computer isn't broken, they just need to try turning it on. Tired of sharing an office with some forty something who goes on about her husband and her fucking son all day long, then gets the arse when I show absolutely no interest.

In all seriousness, I don't know what I want to do. It's alright people saying "why not try a career change" but it's just not that easy. Qualifications and experience in any given field are nearly always needed. All I know is, I'm in a complete rutt, and I HAVE to get out. I'm close to the point where I would rather risk unemployment out there than risk my mind in here...
  • Options
    Sick of my job. I would walk now if I had some money and no debt. Tired of serving higher's who are complete nitwits. Tired of doing work for other people who are too stupid or lazy to do it themselves. Tired of explaining to middle aged women that their computer isn't broken, they just need to try turning it on. Tired of sharing an office with some forty something who goes on about her husband and her fucking son all day long, then gets the arse when I show absolutely no interest.

In all seriousness, I don't know what I want to do. It's alright people saying "why not try a career change" but it's just not that easy. Qualifications and experience in any given field are nearly always needed. All I know is, I'm in a complete rutt, and I HAVE to get out. I'm close to the point where I would rather risk unemployment out there than risk my mind in here...

Join the club..follow me! I've done it...not sure what to do next but anything is better than this miserable existence, feeling almost suicidal on Sunday nights and counting down the hours to the weekend.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    Join the club..follow me! I've done it...not sure what to do next but anything is better than this miserable existence, feeling almost suicidal on Sunday nights and counting down the hours to the weekend.

If it wasn't for my money situation, I would walk out the door right now. I wouldn't even give notice. Believe me. But my money situation being the way it is right now, it's just not an option. I've got agencies looking for permanent stuff for me - I don't want to temp again if I can avoid it, but god knows how long it will take them to find me something. As for jobs in the paper and stuff like that, there doesn't seem to be alot about...
  • Options
    Well I've made my mind up. I'm going to have the courage of my convictions for once. My current contract ends in the first week of October. I would get another contract if I so wished, but I'm not going to. That leaves me just over a month to sort something. Whoopeeeeeeee
  • Options
    Well I've made my mind up. I'm going to have the courage of my convictions for once. My current contract ends in the first week of October. I would get another contract if I so wished, but I'm not going to. That leaves me just over a month to sort something. Whoopeeeeeeee

woohooo..any ideas? I am slightly cacking it but excited at the same time. Doesn't it feel good to take control?
  • Options
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Surely there are such things as "crap" jobs. Having to be a binman in rundown areas where you come across mice, rats and wasps is a crap job. Being a sewage worker is a crap job. Being on the complaints desk in a call centre being yelled abuse at all day even tho it's not your fault is a crap job...

That depends on your portrayal of jobs. In your opinion being a bin man is a "crap job" but some may love that job. Driving around in their big yellow trucks having a crack with their mates, it may not be all that bad, and they probably enjoy themselves. In their eyes it's not a "crap job".

However I doubt you would say being an accountant all day would be a "crap job" but to some people working with numbers all day, meeting annoying clients on a daily basis and doing something similar day in day out may be seen as a "crap job" to someone else.

It's all down to the individual.
  • Options
    katchika wrote: »
    woohooo..any ideas? I am slightly cacking it but excited at the same time. Doesn't it feel good to take control?

Not a clue! But hey, I'm excited to...! ;)
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    That depends on your portrayal of jobs. In your opinion being a bin man is a "crap job" but some may love that job. Driving around in their big yellow trucks having a crack with their mates, it may not be all that bad, and they probably enjoy themselves. In their eyes it's not a "crap job".
    I never said being a bin man, driving trucks etc is necessarily a "crap job". Specifically if you're the person having to manually pick up binbags from places infested with mice/rats/insects/wasps, sorry that's no fun for anyone!

Haha http://www.worst-jobs.com
  • Options
    I never said being a bin man, driving trucks etc is necessarily a "crap job". Specifically if you're the person having to manually pick up binbags from places infested with mice/rats/insects/wasps, sorry that's no fun for anyone!

Haha http://www.worst-jobs.com

Unless I read it wrong but you said:
    Having to be a binman is a crap job.

Anyway I don't see what's so wrong with lifting a bag up and a few mice running out. They won't kill you. Mice are nice in my opinion. A rat would scare me a little but then I'm female.
  • Options
    squeal wrote: »
    Unless I read it wrong but you said:
    Ricardo R wrote:
    Having to be a binman is a crap job.
    Ermm, nice editing. What I actually said:
    Ricardo R wrote:
    Having to be a binman in rundown areas where you come across mice, rats and wasps is a crap job.
  • Options
    I once had a job in a call centre dealing with tax issues and what not, I absolutely detested it from day one. I stuck at it for six months becoming more and more demoralised by the day and one day said to myself, feck this I'm quitting. It felt like a huge weight off my shoulders, I can honestly say it was the best thing I ever did. I consider myself a confident and outgoing person but that job made me withdrawn and lazy and looking at myself I was so gaunt and pasty looking, it really did make me ill. Sure I had my financial commitments like most and the follow up job was only part time to see me by but it was worth it. I live by the "you work to live" and not the "You live to work" motto.

At the end of the day I look back on it as a positive experience as I now know that call centre work is defo not for me. We all have to take the good with the bad, good on all you folk that have decided to take your future into your own hands and move on to something new. I believe moving takes a lot of guts, sure it can be daunting going into the unknown and uncertain and sometimes financially it just aint possible to do this but surely your happiness is the most important thing?