Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Equal Pay Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically the company I work for pay people with children and foreign people more per hour than other staff. We're talking Part Time staff here. Now for example I work various hours but in total more than one of the other guys who is foreign. [Bare in mind I have yet to verify this for sure with him but as of the last time i discussed this with my manager this was the case]

I do more hours than this person, have more responsibility but we do the exact same job otherwise. Now I'm sure I read a while back that in such a case the parties involved should be getting paid equally so he, or any other foreign person(s) employed by the company should not be getting paid more than someone like me.

Just looking for some advice and a good website with good in-depth information regarding this.

eta: I looked up my local CAB so will find time to get to them and see advice via them also

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Does it not depend on the amount of time a person has been in the job? The people I work with who do the exact same job as me (badly, I hasten to add) can get up to £6k a year more than me because I've only been there 18 months and they've been there over ten years. If your company has a pay scale this could account for the differences perhaps?
    it depends on diff circemstances

we're salaried but everyone earns different amounts as they use a PRP schene wher your pay is based on how good you are at your job
    To be honest there doesnt seem to be any set system for who gets paid what amongst part timers except for the minimum wage, but where it differs seems to be if you are foreign you get paid a higher rate for some as yet unknown reason.

I might also add that in my case i've been there FAR longer than the person I am comparing myself to.

If we were going to go on experience than I'd expect more money again because, between just all the part timers I've been doing retail for around 6 years whilst the rest havent even notched up 6 years between the rest of them !
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Does it not depend on the amount of time a person has been in the job?

Yes it does. But I don't see how having children or being foreign means you earn more than someone who doesn't have children or isn't foreign.

Do you have a union you can talk to about this?
    hmmn, sounds odd. Are they getting some sort of gov allowance included in their pay? I'm not sure if they do it anymore, but they used to send family/working tax credit out with people's pay through their employer.
    You can prove that others are paid more, or is it just rumour?