Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The town mayor

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do they do? Just wondering as I saw ours today strolling around in the park, suit on and big chain round his neck.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Thats their job. Its their duty to walk round the parks in the city they are mayor of, complete with big chains and sometimes a hoody, thinking to themselves 'this job is piss easy, beats working at Costchopper'

:thumb:
    lmfao. very similar to what I said at the time.
    Mine came to my school once when I was little and I got to try on all their mayor-bling :)
    My Dad was the Mayor a few years back and I was the Mayoress:blush:
    We went to functions around our area like promoting the town, raising money for charity. The Mayor is the head of the meetings of the town council. He doesn't get paid to do this unless he's Mayoring a really big city! We got lots of free lunches and dinners though which was cool and met some rugby players and dignatries from other towns. It was quite fun, but I was only 17 at the time so there was no one my age about and could get a bit boring. My dad says it was the best time of his life but wouldn't do it for many more years to come as it is so tiring. He had up to 20 functions in a week. I got to wear a cool chain but his was worth 20 grand!
    Usually a complete nobody who lunches out all the time and gets his ugly mug on the front of the paper shaking hands when anybody important comes to town. And claims on expenses for the weekly shop to Tescos and stuff.

We don't have mayors in Scotland, just Lord Provosts I think.
    Mine came to my school once when I was little and I got to try on all their mayor-bling :)

LOL... "Mayor-bling". I like it :-)
    Our mayor does all sorts of things, and the team of the whole council organise lots etc. Yes it's a showperson, but if you didn't have them you would miss the presence of the post.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Thats their job. Its their duty to walk round the parks in the city they are mayor of, complete with big chains and sometimes a hoody, thinking to themselves 'this job is piss easy, beats working at Costchopper'

:thumb:

To be fair, there is a chance that they will work there too. Being Mayor isn't full time...
    I have no idea what our mayor does tbh, i know he writes a letter each week in the local paper.
    Yeah I'm currently working in the Town Mayor's Office, so lots of charity support and stuff. Both our Mayor and Deputy have jobs outside of being a Mayor- I think almost all our mayors have had another job, as they don't get an income from being mayor. think it's only big cities where you are actually paid to do it.
    Can women be mayor's?
    They get paid a big sack of cash to do fuck all, I believe.

Still, I'd hate to have to lunch every day with the Chairman of the Little Flapdale and Mingeside Meat and Fudge Packing Association.
    piecesofme wrote: »
    Can women be mayor's?

They'd be called mayoresses I think.
    Kermit wrote: »
    They get paid a big sack of cash to do fuck all, I believe.

Still, I'd hate to have to lunch every day with the Chairman of the Little Flapdale and Mingeside Meat and Fudge Packing Association.

My dad didn't get paid anything to do it.

The woman is still usually called the Mayor as the consort is the Mayoress. However, if the consort is male, he is just called the Mayor's consort.
    so no-one knows what they do other than wear bling, stroll in the park, shake hands and eat a lot of 'free' food? hmmn, sounds good, if they throw in a lazy boy I'd think about applying.
    They also like officially open stuff in town.
    Like when we had a McDonalds built (whoop dee fuck), the Mayor cut the ribbon.
    A mayor is just a councillor who is chosen to represent the town/city for a year.

I don't think they do get paid as such, but they do get the usual councillors allowance.

I'd love to be a mayor. :):) But you have to get elected as a councillor first.
    Well yes i can tell you what our mayor does. she regularily raises the profile of her chosen charities (and any other local organisations/charities in need of it). She also raises money for these charities for example thru the annual mayor's ball. services for the community are regularily held by the mayor- such as carol services. After 9/11 the mayor at that time brought together the community in this town- including the asians. She chairs the main council meetings which make decisions over things that do affect the daily running of the town. recently a letter was published in our local newspaper slating aylesbury as crime-ridden and a terrible place to live- it might not be ideal for many people but it is certainly not as bad as many places- and the mayor dove into action to get facts from the police as to the crime rate and is now putting into action a plan to dispel this notion.

ETA: she's also orchestrating the mayor's award, which asks the community to nominate people that they feel deserve recognition for service or bravery.

our mayor doesn't get paid for this- only expenses like the rest of the town councillors do. at district and county levels you get an allowance as a councillor but not as a parish/borough/town councillor. the mayor gives up her time from her job to do this, and if you didn't have figureheads such as these in the community, the community would miss them- even if you don't personally realise it. It's part of history, tradition and culture, and if you got rid of them (and other things obviously) you'd just be turning england into a bland country that would then be overtaken by other cultures. and i'm sure people would complain about that too.