Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

GCSE results

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Ok, it's a day late, but I thought I'd post as there is no thread already...

So, had did you get on? What's your next step?

If you're still unsure or need more help advice, check out some of TheSite.org's resources:

Post-GCSE options

Post-GCSE qualifications

Low GCSE results

So come on, let us know your results...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I resat GCSE Science and got a C, which I need to do what I want at uni.
    Sofie wrote: »
    I resat GCSE Science and got a C, which I need to do what I want at uni.

Congrats:) GCSE Science was a killer for me. Thank god it's out of the way
    Your results are very good! Were you predicted a lot better than that then? All A* or something?
    Well done saz.:)
    I did far worse than that when i got mine 3 years ago, mainly c's and 3 b's! I was so disappointed in myself. You should be happy. Perhaps if i had gotten something like that i wouldn't feel like such a failer
    i can't remember how to spell it.. failier? failiar? failur? you know, a person that fails... my word what the hell is going on with my head these days!
    Nutter wrote: »
    i can't remember how to spell it.. failier? failiar? failur? you know, a person that fails... my word what the hell is going on with my head these days!

Failure. :)

Well done everyone.
    xsazx wrote: »
    crap lol

ict a*
    re a*
    science a*
    science a*
    business distinction (equivilant of 4 x a*)
    english a (theyve screwed the english results up so only been given one so far)
    maths a
    history a
    art a
    citizenship a
    geography b (taught myself the subject in a month)
    music c (didnt begin learning exam spec till week before the exam - worst teaching i've come across :rolleyes:)

both english, citizenship and history are being remarked though

sooooooo not happy with my results but then I was stupidly ill during the exams and naff teaching so could have done better...... ermm next steps completing IB at the boys grammar then uni to read medicine/chemistry :]

Your not happy with those grades?!?!?! I would actually die if i opened the envelope and saw those grades. Well done! :)
    Nutter wrote: »
    I was so disappointed in myself. You should be happy. Perhaps if i had gotten something like that i wouldn't feel like such a failer

Thanks. I was quite happy that I got B's and C's. But it's nice to know I am now a failure because of that.
    squeal wrote: »
    Thanks. I was quite happy that I got B's and C's. But it's nice to know I am now a failure because of that.

Different people different expectations in what you want/expect to do. If you got the grades you were wanting/happy with then what does it matter and why take stuff like this personally when people are just referring to their own feelings?
    Different people different expectations in what you want/expect to do. If you got the grades you were wanting/happy with then what does it matter and why take stuff like this personally when people are just referring to their own feelings?

:lol: I'm not really too fussed. I wish I had done better at the time and everyone was proud of me but I just don't agree that getting B's and C's would be failing. If it was D's, E's and U's then I would agree. But C and above is nothing to be ashamed of, it's decent grades.
    What on earth is a Citizenship GCSE!??!?
    I wasn't exactly serious in the first place.

And your mad, how can an A be a fail? It's good that you have high aims and all that but aren't you putting a lot of pressure on yourself?
    And your mad, how can an A be a fail? It's good that you have high aims and all that but aren't you putting a lot of pressure on yourself?

My thoughts exactly. The highest I achieved at GCSE was a C. I certainly didn't class that as a 'fail'.
    GCSEs aren't really worth putting your lifes effort into. They're not worth the stress and i found out the hard way. I got 6 C's and 4 B's 1 D, was a bit dissapointed cause i could have done better if they hadnt made me do so many. Who needs 11 GCSEs?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    GCSEs aren't really worth putting your lifes effort into. They're not worth the stress and i found out the hard way. I got 6 C's and 4 B's 1 D, was a bit dissapointed cause i could have done better if they hadnt made me do so many. Who needs 11 GCSEs?

Rubbish. It depends entirely on what you want t do and nearly every uni asks for a GCSE of some sort. A few of them (well, for the course I want to do) asks for 3...

Some of you do come across as spolit really. You whinge that you 'only' got an A, so what? At least you got an A. The highest I got was a C and that was with missing half of the Year 10 course (because I changed sets half way through) and missing 3 weeks (which was coursework) through Year 11.
    It's the way you come across, that's all.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Rubbish. It depends entirely on what you want t do and nearly every uni asks for a GCSE of some sort. A few of them (well, for the course I want to do) asks for 3...

Some of you do come across as spolit really. You whinge that you 'only' got an A, so what? At least you got an A. The highest I got was a C and that was with missing half of the Year 10 course (because I changed sets half way through) and missing 3 weeks (which was coursework) through Year 11.

I never said you don't need them, the basics yeah, but i've never heard of anywhere asking for more than 5. Doing 7/8 would probably be better as you can concentrate on each one more and you have a couple extra to back up. But 11 just seems really too much. I missed alot of year 10 too due to stress and had to go on medication before i could walk through the school gates without having a panic attack so i did not find it easy.
    I guess it depends alot on what you want to do. Also, if you did do 11 GCSEs (I only did 8) then you have more of a choice of what you want to do at A-Level.
    How on earth did you find the time to do all them? At my school, most people did 9, but that did include 5 hours of Science. (as it was double award)
    With ours, each subject (apart from RE. Science & one option) were all 3 hours each.
    xsazx wrote: »

those papers are even more retarded than GCSE geography
    I went to a strict Grammar school and after 3 years of being on of the top pupils in the year I got lazy and during my GCSE years did very little.

As a result of this, I got:

A- Drama, English
    B- Physics, Biology, ICT, French
    C- Maths, History
    D- Chemistry

To be honest they are better than I thought, I was expecting all Ds. I was disappointed with drama though, I got A* on my practical but the written really let me down.

I still got the grades I want to get into college to do a full time drama course in England, I'm moving (ON MY OWN!!!) like next week.
    Why can't you appreciate that different people have different standards? Last week my cousin got 2A* 8A, sounds good but was well below average for her school, her parents are saying what a waste spending £18k/yr for her to get grades she could've got from any free school. For me Grade As would have definitely been seen as failures when the majority of the class received an A* in all subjects. Getting a Grade A not an A* means you're not in top crop, you're slightly below. GCSEs might not matter that much in general but with so many people getting a good crop of decent grades you can really stand out from the crowd by getting all A*s - I did and it was really beneficial getting offers from 6 top unis, job offers etc.
    Well done to the people who were happy with what they achieved..and the others.

I do find it sad if people are upset about getting an A...there is more to life, seriously.

I did 11 GCSEs and the school put so much pressure on, now 10 years later it all seems quite laughable! I mean GCSEs don't even go on most peoples CVs once they have a degree and a few jobs behind them.
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Why can't you appreciate that different people have different standards? Last week my cousin got 2A* 8A, sounds good but was well below average for her school, her parents are saying what a waste spending £18k/yr for her to get grades she could've got from any free school. For me Grade As would have definitely been seen as failures when the majority of the class received an A* in all subjects. Getting a Grade A not an A* means you're not in top crop, you're slightly below. GCSEs might not matter that much in general but with so many people getting a good crop of decent grades you can really stand out from the crowd by getting all A*s - I did and it was really beneficial getting offers from 6 top unis, job offers etc.

Change the record please.
    Change the record please.
    Errm, you're the one that asked in the first place how it's putting too much pressure on etc. Bottom line, if I'd got all As not all A*s I wouldn't be where I am today. Might not have got into Oxford as my AS grades were substandard so I only had GCSEs to prove I was capable.
    I asked saz though not you. Out of interest what do you class as substandard when it comes to A Level's?
    Out of interest what do you class as substandard when it comes to A Level's?
    Bs - note this is in context of an Oxford place where offers are normally AAA, AAB if you're lucky.
    hm, i smell a jomery