Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Quick question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok, I've had to book a driving test in for monday 8:40am, was unavoidable else I'd lose my provisional entitlement.

Whats the best way to broach this with my boss? Seeing as I'd end up in work between 10 and 10.30, its not the biggest loss in the world, I could just call in sick for the day (I'm agency staff anyway so not a major crux - but still dont wanna piss anyone off).

Should i let her know tomorrow (thurs) or just on the morning make up some lame excuse like my bike has broken and i need to wait for a lift or ive got a tummy bug or dentists or something lol.

Im scared about her kicking up a fuss and saying i cant come in late on monday and then if i do pull a sickie its sooooo obvious.

What should I do? :confused:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Can't see any reason why you shouldn't tell her the truth. Chances are her reply would be "ah okay. Good luck with that, by the way". That's what my boss said when I booked my test.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Can't see any reason why you shouldn't tell her the truth. Chances are her reply would be "ah okay. Good luck with that, by the way". That's what my boss said when I booked my test.

It's just short notice because I always think 08 is october. My entitlement runs out on 21/08/07 and my test originally was for next saturday. now its on teh 20th, at 8.40am, in the middle of town, in rush hour.

:lol:

Should be funny.

But just scared in case she pulls a funny!
    If you miss work for a test I thought you can claim back the money you would have lost from DVLA if you had been working, are you going to do that or am I wrong in thinking it's possible?
    squeal wrote: »
    If you miss work for a test I thought you can claim back the money you would have lost from DVLA if you had been working, are you going to do that or am I wrong in thinking it's possible?
    You certainly can. I was originally meant to have my practical driving test on June 7th. However, no examiner was available and they had to cancel it at short notice. I was able to claim back the expenses of hiring a car (from my instructor) and for half a day's working losses. I've now got a cheque for £33 on its way to me.
    squeal wrote: »

DVLA arent at fault in my case, I booked the wrong test originally, and my entitlement runs out on tuesday, so ive rescheduled it for monday morning. An hours ay doesnt bother me too much, its the prospect of letting down my boss I don't like :(
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Whats the best way to broach this with my boss?

Just explain the situation, surely nobody is hrash enough to give you stick for having a couple of hours off. You can always make them up.

Good luck anyway!:)
    Tell her tomorrow, that way it's not a nasty shock and offer to either work late on Monday, a couple of extra hours during the week, or just have a short day.

Generally they'll be a lot happier knowing in advance if it's only a couple of hours than being dropped in it.
    Cheers guys. Told her yesterday, she said good luck. She did say 'why are you doing this to me' in a jokey way, because we're snowed under right now.
    How did you do? :chin: