Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cervical cancer smear

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Now I’m 25, I’ve been invited for a cervical smear. It says I can have it at my usual doctors or a clinic. Has anyone had one? Does it hurt?

And can you get tested for STIs at the same time?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've had a few, some hurt some didn't. The more relaxed you are the less it hurts.
    As for getting tested for sti's at the same time i don't know, you will have to ask your doctors.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I find them uncomfortable but wouldn't say they hurt as such - the doctor has always put me at ease though :). Have a read of TheSite's factsheet if you haven't already as there's lots of useful info including
    smears can also find signs of some hidden infections such as HPV, which is a form of wart virus that's been linked to cancer of the cervix.

I'd say you're unlikelyto get tested for general STIs though as that would take time that they won't have accounted for in the appointment e.g taking swabs, urine tests etc - but as Tweety says, you can always check. Some doctors prefer to refer you to a gum clinic so if you're having your smear at your usual GPs they may refer you anyway.
    **Helen** wrote: »
    I find them uncomfortable but wouldn't say they hurt as such - the doctor has always put me at ease though :). Have a read of TheSite's factsheet if you haven't already as there's lots of useful info including

I'd say you're unlikelyto get tested for general STIs though as that would take time that they won't have accounted for in the appointment e.g taking swabs, urine tests etc - but as Tweety says, you can always check. Some doctors prefer to refer you to a gum clinic so if you're having your smear at your usual GPs they may refer you anyway.

I just hate any sort of tests and thought I may be able to kill two birds with one stone rather than having two separate ones.
    It won't be the most comfortable or dignified few minutes of your life, but it's not that bad at all, and infinitely preferable to getting cervical cancer :yes:

Can you have your smear at a GUM clinic rather than the docs, then they could do the whole battalion of tests there at the same time? Have a look for a sexual health website for your local trust. Worth a go!
    I got invited when I was 20!! How rude. I had to have two done as well because there was something wrong with the first (the test not me). They aren't the most fun things in the world but they only last a minute. They don't hurt like a jab does but they can be uncomfortable. The second one I bled for a little while after but thats not from being cut or anything its just where they had to get the cells off
    kangoo wrote: »
    I got invited when I was 20!!

I got invited when I was 21! hmm probably about time for another one argh! It was not a good experience for me. I was totally unprepared for what was about to happen and I found it very painful to the point where I was crying! But as many people have said here, its not usually that bad, and is more uncomfortable than painful!
    kangoo wrote: »
    They aren't the most fun things in the world but they only last a minute. They don't hurt like a jab does but they can be uncomfortable. The second one I bled for a little while after but thats not from being cut or anything its just where they had to get the cells off

:yes: I had my first one last week and this is an exact description of how the experience was for me. I just tried to think about other things and breathe normally so I wasn't tense...it was over before I knew it.
    ok sorry if this is a stupid question but whats the difference with this and a pap smear (yes im clueless)
    nothing afaik

pap = papanicolaou - the type of stain used to stain the cells

smear tests and pap smears are both looking for abnormal cells of the cervix