Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Strange ideas in a film

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I would like to pick your brains here :-)

I recently watched 'Groundhog Day' and thought to myself - "what a brilliant idea for a film". It is about a character who relives the same day over. He sleeps at day's end and wakes up looping to day's start. He remembers events that happen on each repetition so that he can start using them to his advantage. I.e. he remembers the answers on a quiz show to impress his audience when it gets shown "again". I won't reveal any more. You should watch it if you haven't done so already.

So here we go: Do any of you TheSite.org people know of any other films that have strange/original ideas like this?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Donnie Darko is just strange

Back to the future is cleverly put together
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I love Stay (of 2005). But you don't get to understand what's going on until the very end, and then there are a lot of little details to notice!
    I like Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind where you get to delete someone from a previous relationship. But it's not at all practical because love conquers all. :yeees: Ha.

Pleasantville too, where two kids get sucked into a tellybox and shake up a 50s programme and make everything technicolour then everyone begins to enjoy life rather than being a martyr.

Last one would be 28 Weeks Later, which was more powerful than the first I reckon. It could happen, not with that particular disease but the measures they used to clear out the country.
    Being John Malkovich, anything by David Lynch, The Truman Show, Last Action Hero (:D), Fight Club, Magnolia, Scanners, Vertigo, The Idiots, Irreversible, Dogville, La Jetee (and Twelve Monkeys, which is basically a full length version of the same idea).
    Old Boy
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Sympathy for Lady Vengence
    Adaptation
    melinda and melinda
    The Butterfly Effect has a time theme too.

Groundhog Day rocks though! :thumb:
    Rachael wrote: »
    Old Boy

Am I the only person that worked that film out the second he met the girl?

think so!

I thought the end was confusing as fuck but it made sense for the most part.
    Pleasantville for sure was a brilliant film with an original idea.

The Prestige also... if you have seen it, you will know what i mean about the original idea in it... or ideas even! :)

Matrix! Obvious and not that great a film series, but you know... i guess an original idea.
    Bullseye wrote: »
    Matrix! Obvious and not that great a film series, but you know... i guess an original idea.

It was a great film series...when there was only one film in it.
    Wow, many thanks everyone. Lots of suggestions there! What I'll do is look them all up on Amazon because the prices are quite reasonable on there. Reviews and descriptions also. I recently discovered 'IMDB' - a great film database web site.

I also suddenly remember 'Jumanji' where one player gets sucked into a board game. Three more players have to carry on playing the game to the end in order for the missing person to be released.
    I first saw Groundhog Day when I was ill with flu, so it left me very confused for quite a while!
    It was a great film series...when there was only one film in it.

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!! Best thing i heard all day!