Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Occupational Health - Compulsory?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have been absent from work for nearly 8 weeks. I have a doctor's note to cover this and my employer was well aware of my medical history when they employed me.

My manager has referred to me to Capita Health Services who conduct occupational health evaluations on behalf of many major organisations. I was asked to go into work to see the occupational health nurse to see if there is anything they can do to "help me come back to work". My doctor advised that I shouldn't be asked to go to my place of emplyment since I had been certified as unfit to work and I agreed. When I told my manager she got quite uppity and arranged for my appointment to be held somewhere else (at another 'branch' of the organisation)

What I really want to know is, do I have a legal obligation to go to this appointment? I am worried that they don't want to help me back to work at all, and that they just want to look for ways to get rid of me. I know it will look bad if I don't go but the stress of the meeting is making me feel worse. I am scared to go and be honest because I don't want them to show me the door. I would very much like to be able to go back to work. It's not like I'm sitting at home having a ball, but at the moment I can't.

Anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you want to keep your job it won't look very good if you don't go. if they are willing to help you should probably take advantage of it otherwise my guess is it would look like you're not willing to help yourself get back into work. so my advice is do it 'cos like you said they were already aware of your history when they employed you.
    To be frank you dont have anything to loose from going, if they are planning to use this to push you out, then you not attending is just another excuse.

In reality if its a big employer they quite like having a few (dont take this the wrong way I'm refering more broadly) cripples and weirdos on the staff, it allows them to trumpet their Equal Opportunities as being inclusive.
    budda wrote: »
    In reality if its a big employer they quite like having a few (dont take this the wrong way I'm refering more broadly) cripples and weirdos on the staff, it allows them to trumpet their Equal Opportunities as being inclusive.

Lol! It's so true. If I were an asian lesbian with one leg I'd be at the highest grade by now (I'm a civil servant)
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Lol! It's so true. If I were an asian lesbian with one leg I'd be at the highest grade by now (I'm a civil servant)

It is definitely true in the public sector who fall over backwards to hire people who are either a minority or have been born with some disfigurement.
    Hiya Bumblebee

I've not been to Capita or BMI myself, but my friend who was off for 4 months with depression was pushed into going for a review. She drove 25 miles to the BMI office in Bristol to spend 12 minutes there. There was no medical examination, just questions like "what can we do to help you back to work?" basically what you will have been through with your manager already. She was fuming!! I've seen people off for anything up to a year before they start pushing for retirement / termination of contract on ill health grounds xx
    I don't *know* but from previous employers and parents jobs I have always understood that after you have been absent from work for a certain length of time you should have an occupational health assessment before you return to work.

It aims to assess whether you are in fact totally fit to return to your full (if not increased due to the backlog) work load, or whether there are any changes that need to be made to accomodate your needs.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/campaigns/pdf/managingabsence.pdf

Has some info, as does

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1187

It looks like some type of return to work assessment is a requirement.