Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A Level Results

124»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I do that. I basically worked my arse off revising AS Law unit one and failed it. (both times) Did hardly any work for the second & third units and got Ds in them.
    katchika wrote: »
    I find it sad though that unis would take an exam you did at 15 or 16 over how you are today (eg, by interviewing an applicant). A lot of GCSEs are just about regurgitating information by rote.
    Yep, but when so many students are getting straight A grades nowadays, how else are they supposed to tell which ones truly shine out from the pack?
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Um what's your point? If you want to study at a top 10 uni in 2007, having an A not an A* in your desired subject will be a disadvantage, period. Go to thestudentroom university forum you'll see people have been asked in their interview why they got an A not an A*.

I went to York and was offered a place at Warwick (to do maths), got an A not an A* in my gcse, nobody gave a fuck. Got ABC at a level and they were both too happy to have me.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Rubbish. When I was looking at which uni to go to, the subject I wanted to do, nearly every uni I looked at (including Cambridge & Oxford) all said A*-C in English, Maths & Science GCSE. Some did say Science or Maths though.
    Sigh..yes they all say you just need 3Cs or whatever, that's an absolute minimum requirement, but when these days for some courses there's 10+ people applying per place, every little thing counts. There'll be rather few people these days getting into Imperial Maths or Physics with an A or B at GCSE in that subject. Just because some of you have got in in the past with these doesn't mean it's not a major disadvantage, when people get asked in interview why they didn't get an A*. Anyway this has gone off topic, I was just defending that person who said they'd be disappointed with As not A*s, I just know in some places that's not such a bizarre attitude, it's the norm.
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    Sigh..yes they all say you just need 3Cs or whatever, that's an absolute minimum requirement, but when these days for some courses there's 10+ people applying per place, every little thing counts. There'll be rather few people these days getting into Imperial Maths or Physics with an A or B at GCSE in that subject. Just because some of you have got in in the past with these doesn't mean it's not a major disadvantage, when people get asked in interview why they didn't get an A*. Anyway this has gone off topic, I was just defending that person who said they'd be disappointed with As not A*s, I just know in some places that's not such a bizarre attitude, it's the norm.

Ricardo R, one wonders whether you have ever read through a university guide/ UCAS. Although your argument has been torn apart, I feel I must salt the wound further.
    Any university [including oxbridge] would overlook an A instead of an A* if one had a) extra cirricular activities to support the grade
    b) a stronger a-level grade in that subject which many have
    c) shine at interview
    I had an interview for Cambridge and only got an A in mathematics GCSE and am attending the uni now... there goes you argument... furthermore, no-one asked me why i only got an A, I MET THE ENTRY REQUIREMENTS!

Dont be put off by people like Ricardo_r, generally they are people who want to be where your going! well done guys

PS. INVESTMENT BANKERS ARE NOT PARASITES, they perform a job like any other professional
    C English Lit
    C Media
    D English Lan

I'm in into Uni!!! Fuck yes!
    your-babe wrote: »
    C English Lit
    C Media
    D English Lan

Congrats!!! Go celebrate and ignore people like ricardo_r!
    dxv549 wrote: »
    Although your argument has been torn apart
    I think that would be you mate, your argument that RyanAir giving free flights for people with a U grade apparantly rewards failure and encourages people to fail. lol, hilarious.
    Dont be put off by people like Ricardo_r, generally they are people who want to be where your going!
    Umm, I've graduated, and ironically, it's you who seems to want to be where I am! :
    PS. INVESTMENT BANKERS ARE NOT PARASITES, they perform a job like any other professional
    Congratulations to everyone that got what they wanted. Commiserations to everyone who didn't. But don't worry about it because there are plenty of ways to become successful in life, and the main one is to use disappointments to spur you on to succeed next time, or to succeed in something different.

Incidentally, where is this free Ryanair flight to? Is it one way, to get all the dunces off the island? :p No offence anyone who got a U.
    your-babe wrote: »
    C English Lit
    C Media
    D English Lan

:yippe: Well done hun. I'm so happy for you.

And well done to the other person I know who's just got into uni as well. :wave:
    With regard to the RyanAir thing, anyone who deliberately sabotages their A-levels, and unless they're made of money, their entire life, just to get a free plane ticket, is not the kind of cretin we should want polluting higher education.

To all those who've got exam results, hope you're happy and got what you need to go on to do whatever you want to do wherever you want to do it. Sorry I can't be any more specific.

Perhaps they are getting easier, but that's not the student body's fault - it's that of the system, the teaching and the exam syllabi. That said, everyone who takes A-levels and doesn't go into teaching generally only sees one set of A-level papers and thus has no basis for comparison. I got AAA back in the day (excluding general studies which fortunately my school didn't offer) and got an unconditional from Bristol. God knows if I'd have got the same offer now.
    :yippe: Well done hun. I'm so happy for you.

And well done to the other person I know who's just got into uni as well. :wave:

Thankyou hun!

At the end of the day, yes they may be easier now than what they used to be, but I worked my fucking arse off for those qualifications, and have been rewarded, what's wrong with that? Sorry for having a rant, but it's just SO irritating hearing so many people in the media etc blab on about it.
    squeal wrote: »
    I got 2 B's and a C. I was 5 marks off an A in one though :banghead:

Well done chloe. :)
    Don't worry about missing out on that A, even though it must be frustrating, you still got into your Uni!

And well done everyone else!
    I got CCD, which is what I needed to get into Southampton Solent so I'm happy! :D
    Not amazing results but I wasn't after amazing results.

Oh, and this thread is meant to be for people discussing their A level results, so if you've come to mock and criticise then fuck off you stupid cunts, no one cares.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Well done chloe. :)
    Don't worry about missing out on that A, even though it must be frustrating, you still got into your Uni!

And well done everyone else!
    I got CCD, which is what I needed to get into Southampton Solent so I'm happy! :D
    Not amazing results but I wasn't after amazing results.

Oh, and this thread is meant to be for people discussing their A level results, so if you've come to mock and criticise then fuck off you stupid cunts, no one cares.

Well done mate. :D
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Well done mate. :D

Cheers man!

The 3 night celebration bender after picking up my results was well worth the stress! :thumb: