Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smear tests

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You poor thing that sounds awful, I've had two and neither have been that bad. My first didn't hurt it was just really cold! The second hurt a lot more and I could feel her scraping which was unpleasant and I bled after. The weird thing was they were done by the same women within about 4 months of each other and I was much more nervous the first time! I mentioned that to her and she said it can depend on where you are in your cycle and how easy it is to get the cells.

Maybe next time mention that it was extremely painful last time and they might be extra careful, or use more lube thats what she did with me (I was covered with the stuff). Its definatly worth asking for a different doctor too because they might be more gentle. They say it will be uncomfortable but definatly not excrutiating so make sure you let them know that you had trouble

ETA: the woman who did mine was lovely and we had a nice chat about the weather while she had her hand up my fangina
  • Options
    lol my regular gynecologist asks me about my hubby and how much sex we're having :p
  • Options
    gb.Nally wrote: »
    ..Always a great subject :thumb: But seriously, when I first had sex and we split up, all of a sudden I realised I knew nothing about this man I had slept with, nothing intimate anyway as you can imagine we hadn't been seeing each other THAT long, but I thought it would be best if I got myself checked out, I didn't think it would be that bad realising it would be quite uncomfortable.

Just a note to say that at a smear test all they do is send off your cells from the cervix to look for abnormal cells, they don't test for STDs. If you wanted to check your sexual health, you will also need to book in for STD tests. They are a similar procedure and the staff should make you feel comfortable, just mention that you were in pain for your smear and they will ease you through it.
  • Options
    never had this problem myself, it shouldn't be painful, perhaps you were so nervous about it that you froze, making it difficult for the person doing the examination?
  • Options
    I so wish I hadn't opened this thread. I've got my first one on Thursday and am absolutely petrified now...which is probably going to make it even worse than it otherwise would have been :crying:
  • Options
    I think it hurts more the 1st time cause your not use to it and your normally nervous therefore thinking it'll be worse than it is therefore making it worse
    the second time i went back still hurts but not as much
    only like being pinchd or somthing not major pain lol and doesnt last very long
  • Options
    Also, its worth going through a bit of pain to find out if your healthy or not, cause it could be alot worse if you dont get checked
  • Options
    Just thought I'd update and say for those who haven't had one and are dreading their first...I had mine yesterday and it was honestly fine. It helped that I had a really nice, approachable lady doing it, she talked me through it all and was very understanding of my nerves - but it was all OK. Was over in about a minute. It felt a bit strange and yes was slightly uncomfortable but I tried thinking of other things and it was over so quickly I was quite surprised. It's really not that bad :)
  • Options
    Sorry, I know this is an old thread- but exactly what age do you start having to have them?
  • Options
    25 officially I think, but if you start having sex earlier than that I think you're meant to have a smear test earlier than 25 too. No younger than 20 though. (I could be wrong but I think these are the guidelines)