Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Made in China - Do You Trust It?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone had any bad experiences of stuff made in China that had an obvious flaw in them?

Do you trust goods from China?

I once bought an MP3 player from PC World when it was on Sale and the plug for the headphone was too big for the socket or any socket for that matter !!

Now something like 20 million Chinese Made toys have been recalled for being potentially dangerous:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20070814/china_recall_070814/20070814?hub=CTVNewsAt11

I do think there's very little quality control out there - but any company purchasing 20 Million toys certainly should be employing their own staff to do checks as well.

Mattel recalls 18.2 million Chinese-made toys

Updated Tue. Aug. 14 2007 11:31 PM ET
CTV.ca News Staff
Mattel Inc. has announced further recalls affecting millions more Chinese-made toys due to lead paint and the presence of small, powerful magnets that could be ingested by children.
In total, about 18.2 million toys are affected worldwide -- with more than 900,000 of them in Canada, and about 9.5 million in the U.S.

Comments

• Options
    I do think there is a big problem over there with quality control. The problem is though that just about everything is made over there these days. :( Clothes, electronics, toys, shoes, lots of things. :(

But as sad as it is, outsourcing to China is dirt cheap, and at the end of the day, with big businesses, no matter what, it all comes down to the dollar.
  • Options
    china is being setup as the boogie man in anticipation of the power shift that is happening/about to happen, so expect to see a lot more demonisation in the press jumping on stupid stories like this.....of course they will produce some shoddy stuff but when you consider how much we import from them it's pretty minor really. and like you said mattel have their own guys over there doing the quality checks so they are just as much to blame imo, complete non-story.
  • Options
    china is being setup as the boogie man in anticipation of the power shift that is happening/about to happen, so expect to see a lot more demonisation in the press jumping on stupid stories like this.

That sounds plausible especially since the recent "fuck you" given by the China regime to the US regime over the request for currency re-evaluation.
  • Options
    ridingsun-huBush.jpg

picture paints a thousand words....china has america by the balls atm and there's not much they can do, apart from moan about their shoddy toys lol.
  • Options
    I read/saw this thing were they were making Dimsum and it was like 80% cardboard or something because they just don't have the H&S regulations that we do over there ...(although sometimes I wonder that must be a good thing:rolleyes: )
  • Options
    hmm shows peopel what you get for paying so little for it

feel sorry for the people in china, almost all of their water supply is now up shitcreek that they're thinking of physically redirecting a stream that turns into a river that feeds india
  • Options
    nicolalou wrote: »
    I read/saw this thing were they were making Dimsum and it was like 80% cardboard or something because they just don't have the H&S regulations that we do over there ...(although sometimes I wonder that must be a good thing:rolleyes: )

that report is mentioned on another thread on here and is supposed to actually be fake... i never ate any cardboard whilst i was there!! yes, i didn't always know exactly what i was eating... but...
  • Options
    I wouldnt trust anything if it didnt work, nevermind where it came from.
  • Options
    You get what you pay for. Consumers want dirt cheap, Western companies outsourcing to China will pay the bare minimum so it's hardly surprising that Chinese firms are cutting corners.
  • Options
    Last article talked about Chinese made cars found some crash test on them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F06LjugtIUo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Swzbt76wBM

Not great results
  • Options
    of course no... but since almost eveything is made there... we have not much choice ^^