Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Give me a job!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello, i am desperately seeking a job. After voluntary work overseas i have found it difficult to get a job over here in the UK. I am considering work overseas but apart from going down the TEFL route i am pretty clueless on any sort of cast iron plan. Any ideas warmly welcomed.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Tried the job centre? Or contacting a job agency?
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Tried the job centre? Or contacting a job agency?

:lol:

Well what sort of things do you want to do? What are your qualifications? What country do you want to work in?
    nicolalou wrote: »

Well what sort of things do you want to do? What are your qualifications? What country do you want to work in?

It weren't meant to be funny! :D
    GoodFella wrote: »
    It weren't meant to be funny! :D

Yeah right, New girl is learning the ways of you and bunglenutter
    Yeah right, New girl is learning the ways of you and bunglenutter

Im an angel ..:angel: but honestly it was genuine advice!!

Hi Nicolalou, erm, well i have a degree in photography. I worked as a volunteer in Nepal at an orphange.

When i got back to the UK i took a short course on Picture Editing and did quite well - the picture editor who ran the course gave me a prize for my final project.

The trouble is, the market is flooded - every job of this nature i apply for in London is inundated with responses and i am finding it incredibly difficult to get my foot in the door.

I am getting a bit too old to apply for junior positions and would struggle to even subsist on the sort of wage they offer when you consider the cost of living in London.

Outside London these sorts of jobs are few and far between.

As far as going self-employed is concerned i'm pretty good on working on ideas and developing projects but kind of need to be spurred on by a business partner - and finding the right business partner is like looking for the proverbial needle in a haystack.

I'd love to work overseas again but this time would need to work rather than volunteer. But if the right thing came up in the UK - yes i'd take it at the drop of a hat.
    Cant offer any help on the job front but ive just taken a look at your portfolio, im impressed, coming from a graphic designer - you have some good stuff there mate
    And if you were looking to help out in the meantime...

TheSite photography project
    If you're good at photography why don't you get into that? See if there are any around the area that need a new guy.
    You could try searching on Job Sites like Monster, Jobster and stuff.

And what about contacting magazines/newspapers, to see if they need people to do artwork or shoots for them, or photography agencies etc.
    Thanks all of you. Would love to do travel photography but it's a very saturated market. Maybe i could teach English and in my free time work on photography projects. Will definitely think about the voluntary photography work for this website. Thanks again.
    a street walker :p