Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Internet

Right. I moved into a new house where there isn't really a shared internet connection. One of the guys has it for work and shared the password but apparently no-one else has been able to make it work and he seemed reluctant to share with me. Git. I sort of need internet access at home and can't use it all the time when I'm at work or I'll get in trouble a bit, so I'm trying to find out what options I have. So far I've come up with...

1) Check the telephone point in my room and see if its a live one, then get it through there if I can. Problem here is if its the same line that the other guy has I'm guessing this isn't an option.

2) Get a new BT line put in. For £125 I'm thinking I'd rather not tbh.

3) Get Virgin cable.

I'm only in a 6 month contract for the house, and won't be there forever but I do need something in the meantime and am having problems coming up with solutions. If I have to pay off the remainder of a contract then so be it, but I just don't know what options there are available to me. I don't even need the phone part, just the internet which is why it pisses me off that BT want to screw me out of £125 for a new line.

Any help/suggestions appreciated :)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Borrow a wireless router and see if there any unsecured connecttions in your area ;)
  • Options
    Well, I turned the wireless on my laptop on and there are 2, but the signal strenght is so low/weak that the connection wont hold. Is that what you mean?
  • Options
    in my last place one of my flatmates had a wireless broadband connection straight from the carrier which was pretty neat (using GPRS/HSDPA or something similar - wasn't a 3g card though which IIRC is usage based and fookin expensive), can't remember the service provider but defo worth checking it out if your'e in an urban area with good coverage, you can just take it with you when you move...

ETA: something like this...

http://www.airband.ltd.uk/
  • Options
    Get a data contract with a mobile phone and use that for browsing.
  • Options
    Virgin cable is subject to one year's contract, but they will relocate you for free when your six months tennancy is up. Just give 'em a couple of weeks notice.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Get a data contract with a mobile phone and use that for browsing.

That would be too slow for computer use and would cost an absolute fortune.

If you're only in the house for 6 months you're pretty stuck, most providers have 12 month contracts. Your only other routes could be

Satellite
    Dialup *shudder*
    Use a library and buy lots of floppy disks.
  • Options
    Freeola do a 2 month contract I think it is if you do get a phone line put in or can use whats there. May be cheaper in the end getting a 2nd line than paying off the contract dependent on the speed of connection you go for. Would the other housemates want to share with you so they have net access as well?
  • Options
    I checked out the phone line and it doesn't work. Other housemates don't really care tbh. I went with Virgin cable in the end as if I leave I can take it with me, and the installation is much cheaper than BT and I already have the stuff in there.
  • Options
    Acrobat wrote: »
    I checked out the phone line and it doesn't work. Other housemates don't really care tbh. I went with Virgin cable in the end as if I leave I can take it with me, and the installation is much cheaper than BT and I already have the stuff in there.

Excellent! As I said a few posts up, just give NTL (now Virgin) 2 weeks notice and they'll relocate you for free. They'll answer your query on the customer services number. You'll need to keep your modem on you. What the engineers will do is wire your new house in accordance to where you'll be having your computer and modem. I don't work for NTL or anything... I just know this because I've moved house a couple of times before.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    That would be too slow for computer use and would cost an absolute fortune.

On the contrary, a 3G/ HSDPA connection can be comparable to broadband speeds used with a single computer, and T-Mobile has a 7.50/month no commitment option with as much data as you want for 1quid a day max.