Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

People Living At Home & Rent

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How much do you pay your parents? and roughly what do you get for it?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    £200 a month, and I get most of it back as they buy me food and do my ironing occasionally and give me a couple of quid if I'm short. I rarely need to lift a finger...!

I sound like such a layabout but I've had it this way since I've started my new job and even moreso since I've been doing 12hour shifts.
    I give them about 10% of whatever I've earned. So like £150...
    Mine was always the equivalent of a days pay per week. I got everything for that, but was expected to contribute - why should my mum have to do it all when she worked as well...
    £200 a month and that includes food and bills. Am busy clearing off debt atm, so my mum is being nice whilst i sort myself out. My sister takes the piss however, for ages she was only paying £150, and used more stuff, got my mum to buy her stuff, and earnt more than i did!
    I haven't paid rent for aaaages. I was paying £25 a week but then I changed to part-time hours so that I could do an unpaid work placement to help me in the career I want. So since April I haven't paid anything, but my parents pay £45 a week for my driving lessons and give me bits here and there :)

When I was paying £25 a week I got..well everything there is to get in this house.. food, water, leccy, internet etc.
    I pay £80 but do a lot around the house. I don't use t'internet at home, I pay for my own tv etc and since I started earning I pay all my animal bills (mum used to pay for annual jabs for the rabbit and the dog). I also clean and cook to help out, so I don't feel that I'm robbing them of anything. And besides, I do all the overtime for nothin for the family business, so that's worth far more!
    I pay £100 a month, but get most of that spent back on for food and bills. The only thing I pay for myself is the internet only because no one else uses it!
    ahh cheers all. working out some kind of fair agreement with my parents :D
    My sister-in-law is lodging with us again, and we charge her £50 per week, and I think we probably make a loss on that.

I'm sure I've said this before :D
    Currently, I don't give my parents any money as I'm not earning anything.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Currently, I don't give my parents any money as I'm not earning anything.
    Ditto.
    well i moved back from uni in may and haven't actually paid any rent yet. my mum said she wouldn't until i got a 'proper job' and even then she wouldn't charge much but i was a bit like well i have a job (tesco) so i wanted to contribute. i wasn't working many hours when i first moved back but last month my mum didn't have much money so i bought food quite regularly and i buy bits now and again all the time. i mentioned rent again the other day and she said it didn't matter so i'm buying her some boots in the sale she wants instead.
    As a lazy student bum who has no job i dont pay them anything. I hope that in 6 weeks time when i start my postgrad it will be me gone from the house for good!
    Nothing at the moment cos I'm a bum. When I do work and have money I just buy food or whatnot for the house. My mum is pretty sweet when it comes to that like, doesn't be hounding me for money all the time.
    When I wasn't on the dole, I wasn't committed to pay anything. I was then on the dole for July-September 2002 and I paid £85 / month. Up my way, we called it 'board' instead of rent. The terminology used when an offspring continues to live in their parents' house into adulthood. In late September 2002 (aged 24), I 'flew the nest' and began renting a room at digs.
    Kermit wrote: »
    My sister-in-law is lodging with us again, and we charge her £50 per week, and I think we probably make a loss on that.

I'm sure I've said this before :D

Yeah I think we all had a big fight about this subject last time.
    £200 a month. For all my food and share of the bills. I do do a few things round the house to help and did a lot more when I was unemployed and a home all day.

My parents are quite happy for me to pay them a fairly small amount so I can save up.
    When I lived at home i didn't pay rent but instead put £50 per month in a SAYE share scheme at my old work. Can't say fairer than that.
    I don't pay anything and i get everything.
    Well, my brother has chosen to stay at home whilst studying at University in September. As he's getting almost £6k, my Dad has chosen to charge him about £30 a week. Pretty good deal I think. I got less money at Uni and for rent and food, I spent well over £100 a week!
    I've been paying £100 a month since I was 16 and got my first part-time job lol. I'm now 18...that equals a lot of money.

I do ALL the housework, and my 4 younger siblings do nothing lol. I cook/clean/wash/iron etc. Rip off. It's no wonder I'm trying to buy a flat lol
    Just 10 squiddly's a week for me now im back home. That covers everything. Think i'll treat her when i get my loan
    I don't currently pay anything, and haven't done for the last few months. My parents have told me to save the money instead for university. Given the cock-up that I've made regarding my student loan application, I'm certainly going to need that money I've saved.
    lipsy wrote: »
    Yeah I think we all had a big fight about this subject last time.

Yes, there was a bit of a heated discussion..................
    I never had a formal arrangement but would pay some of the bills and half the food bill if she did a big shop and buy my own food at other times. Now that I'm working, she casually suggested I pay £85 a week per room, and I need two. I told her to fuck off. If I were a young sole person at college or uni or only working part-time, who wanted to live at home I'd probably make an offer of about £40 a week.
    What annoys me a bit is my sister is earning 18 grand a year now and she threw a strop when my parents suggested she paid 50 a month! If i was making that money id be out of here so fast!
    I don't pay anything. I feel bad about it sometimes, but cos im on such a crap wage when I was paying my mum rent at one point, I would pay it then by the end of the month i'd be borrowing money off her cos I was so skint so it wasnt make any difference really.

Last month I got a good wage and asked her if i could pay some but she refused and told me to put it in my savings instead, cus i'm saving to move out. im really lucky really but i know it. i sometimes buy food bits for the house like bread and milk, thats about it though.
    I've been home this year after having to take time out from uni on health grounds.

I qualified for no benefits (as I'd been a student at the start of the academic year) and my loan stopped because I was no longer a student. My parents paid for everything while I was ill.

Then started working part time and slowly built it up to full time. I'm not paying rent, I do some food shopping (which I pay for), and usually pay for petrol for the car my brother and I use, and do a fair chunk of the house work. Parents don't want rent, they'd rather I saved the money to use for when I need to pay rent. I pretty good with money and saving it, don't waste loads on junk/going out/smoking, I think if I did then they'd be asking for something.
    i pay most of the bills n pay for food

so i dont give a set amount each week/month
    I pay £80 a month which covers everything