Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A Level Results

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You've never failed anything? I find that hard to believe.

I'm not on about money as a reward, maybe even a McDonalds or something you wouldn't usually get just to make you feel better? That's never happened to any one of you lot?
    Yerascrote wrote: »

I'm not on about money as a reward, maybe even a McDonalds or something you wouldn't usually get just to make you feel better? That's never happened to any one of you lot?

Yeah. I got £50 when I "failed" to get into the Grammar school after the 11+ Thankfully i ended up there a year later through doing a set of (harder) exams.

I'm not sure if I have failed anything. Maybe a weekly French vocab test when I was 12 or something. But not important exams.

And no.
    No, I got beaten, told I was a failure and an embarrassment to the family. :(
    Ryanair have just publicly humiliated themselves by offer 'compensation' to students who were too lazy/think to acheive an 'E' grade at A-level.

In the future, students may be inclined to take 'extra a-levels' and fail them on purpose, with the consilation of knowing they'll receive a 'free flight' for their troubles of sitting the exam.
    Furthermore, it will act as an incentive for those with no prospects and/or common sense to not revise at all!
    Having recieved AAA in my a-levels and studying at a top 5 university, I feel this is outrageous. Once more it is a case of the bone-idle being rewarded, and the academically privileged left to go without.

Thanks for encouraging and rewarding failure!
    dxv549 wrote: »
    Ryanair have just publicly humiliated themselves by offer 'compensation' to students who were too lazy/think to acheive an 'E' grade at A-level.

In the future, students may be inclined to take 'extra a-levels' and fail them on purpose, with the consilation of knowing they'll receive a 'free flight' for their troubles of sitting the exam.
    Furthermore, it will act as an incentive for those with no prospects and/or common sense to not revise at all!
    Having recieved AAA in my a-levels and studying at a top 5 university, I feel this is outrageous. Once more it is a case of the bone-idle being rewarded, and the academically privileged left to go without.

Oh for god's sake it's a £10-20 flight, who the hell's going to fail an A-Level for that, get a grip!
    Around 14.5% of students studying for an A Level qualitification in 2005 had 'no ambition of passing their a-levels', took a-levels because they had 'no clear career direction' and shockingly 8.1% entered 6th form because 'they're friends did!' [Source, the times september 2005]

Possibly one of them!?
    Around 14.5% of students studying for an A Level qualitification in 2005 had 'no ambition of passing their a-levels', took a-levels because they had 'no clear career direction' and shockingly 8.1% entered 6th form because 'they're friends did!' [Source, the times september 2005]

Possibly one of them!?

I didn't have a "clear career direction" when I was 16, I see that as a good reason to continue with education rather than going to work in a shoe shop!
    ''You've never failed anything? I find that hard to believe.

I'm not on about money as a reward, maybe even a McDonalds or something you wouldn't usually get just to make you feel better? That's never happened to any one of you lot? ''

Only ever failed one verbal reasoning test for an Investment Bank [Goldman Sachs - Derivatives]. Even though the failure rate was 29 out of 30 candidates, failures not nice. A free flight wouldnt have helped either
    katchika wrote: »
    I didn't have a "clear career direction" when I was 16, I see that as a good reason to continue with education rather than going to work in a shoe shop!

And may I ask what qualifications you have acheived?
    I'm not talking soley on exams. I'm talking about life in general, you've never failed anything and got a wee treat for trying your best...ever?

Ricardo-sorry to hear that. Some parents are cunts.
    xsazx wrote: »
    never failed any major exams (unless you're talking stuff like spelling tests/mental agility in primary etc) but then it depends on your definition of failure cause on a personal level if i get any A's (gcses next week) then I believe ive "failed" the subject as I've got such high standards for myself. And no failure doesnt tend to be rewarded in this house its a "try harder next time" approach

An A is a failure? You set yourself very high standards, which is not a bad thing, but...

I hope you do well, but please don't feel like a failure if you "only" get As or Bs or whatever!
    And may I ask what qualifications you have acheived?

I don't why that is relevant, but GCSEs, A Levels, a degree and a professional qualification.
    i smell a jomery
    No it's fine - they only wanted the best for me and pushing, pressurising, forcing me to do well at school meant I got top grades which helped me get into a good uni, get a good job etc. :)
    I'm not talking soley on exams. I'm talking about life in general, you've never failed anything and got a wee treat for trying your best...ever?

Failure shouldnt be rewarded!!
    By the theory suggested by classical conditioning & Pavlovian conditioning - if you reward a subject [in Pavlov's case study, this was a dog] for doing well, it gets a treat. Then in future, it associates good behaviour/doing well with receiving rewards [which we assume people want]. The opposite scenario applies also, reward a child for coming last in a race, subconsciously the child may want to come last again
    Addict wrote: »
    i smell a jomery

I'm getting traces ;) but anyhoo...

Actually, I remember when I was at college and people were comparing what they were getting from their parents. This one guy was saying that for each GSCE A*/A grade he got, he was given £200 [my college was in rural Surrey to set the scene...] and then people started to try and outdo one another, then one of my friends butted in and said, "Blimey, my [twin] sister and I only got a pack of M&Ms each!" :lol:
    The opposite scenario applies also, reward a child for coming last in a race, subconsciously the child may want to come last again

So basically you're equating a free plane ticket to an entrance at a university?

You're bonkers.
    So basically you're equating a free plane ticket to an entrance at a university?

You're bonkers.

At no given point have I stated/assumed a free plan ticket = entrance at univeristy.

If you have read [assuming one can] correctly what I said, it was exactly the opposite. Where would you go with your four free flights?

:lol:
    This is a publicity stunt, nothing more and nothing less.
    Failure shouldnt be rewarded!!
    By the theory suggested by classical conditioning & Pavlovian conditioning - if you reward a subject [in Pavlov's case study, this was a dog] for doing well, it gets a treat. Then in future, it associates good behaviour/doing well with receiving rewards [which we assume people want]. The opposite scenario applies also, reward a child for coming last in a race, subconsciously the child may want to come last again
    If student does well, they get into a top university. If they don't, they get a booby prize - a cheap flight on a budget airline. Lol.

Btw this has been excellent publicity for RyanAir and a genius idea, they'll be all over the tabloids tomorrow, have been speaking to RyanAir's research analysts today who think it's good for momentum.
    At no given point have I stated/assumed a free plan ticket = entrance at univeristy.

No, you are saying that.

You said that by rewarding failure then a child would deliberately fail, why would a child deliberately fail for a free plane ticket if there's an entrance at a university at stake on the other side of the scale?
    No, you are saying that.

You said that by rewarding failure then a child would deliberately fail, why would a child deliberately fail for a free plane ticket if there's an entrance at a university at stake on the other side of the scale?

By the way, anyone who begins their 'bebo profile' with the following:
    'Everyone knows my name, it"s mad dog'
    Has 'Hitler' as a hero
    Is scared of 'Jews, Blacks and Gay People'
    and says 'Buckfast is my life long partner, dunno where I"d be without a bottle of Buck in my hand on a Friday/Saturday night'

Probably shouldnt be involved in this conversation

Exactly. It's a numpty argument.
    i tried to fail systems and control by answering 3 questions, drawing a monkey operating doors for the 50 mark question and taking the staples out of the booklet and rearranging all the pages. i got a G.
    By the way, anyone who begins their 'bebo profile' with the following:
    'Everyone knows my name, it"s mad dog'
    Has 'Hitler' as a hero
    Is scared of 'Jews, Blacks and Gay People'
    and says 'Buckfast is my life long partner, dunno where I"d be without a bottle of Buck in my hand on a Friday/Saturday night'

Probably shouldnt be involved in this conversation

And anyone who can't read the Bold writing saying most of the page is a piss take and the fact I wrote "Joke" over those things shouldn't be involved in this conversation either. :D

Gets beat in an argument and resorts to an ad hominen attack. How gracious. :D
    minimi38 wrote: »
    i tried to fail systems and control by answering 3 questions, drawing a monkey operating doors for the 50 mark question and taking the staples out of the booklet and rearranging all the pages. i got a G.
    LOL :D
    Gets beat in an argument and resorts to an ad hominen attack. How gracious. :D

At least we can rule out Critical Thinking ;)
    minimi38 wrote: »

No free holiday for you, lol
    xsazx wrote:
    then it depends on your definition of failure cause on a personal level if i get any A's (gcses next week) then I believe ive "failed" the subject as I've got such high standards for myself.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: