Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

A Level Results

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Are you ready for tomorrow? Good luck to one and all - remember no matter what you hear on the ews tomorrow about the exams getting easier, you should be proud of whatever you achieve.

Some of us don't have any. Remember that.

Oh, and when you are feeling down because you didn't get what you wanted, think of these [very, very] wise words from Baz Luhrman [Man knows what he is talking about]:
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this advice now.

Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded. But trust me, in 20 years youll look back at photos of yourself and recall in a way you cant grasp now how much possibility lay before you and how fabulous you really looked...Youre not as fat as you imagine.

Dont worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm on some idle Tuesday.

Do one thing everyday that scares you

Sing

Dont be reckless with other peoples hearts, dont put up with people who are reckless with yours.

Floss

Dont waste your time on jealousy; sometimes youre ahead, sometimes youre behind...the race is long, and in the end its only with yourself.

Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements.

Stretch

Dont feel guilty if you dont know what to do with your life...the most interesting people I know didnt know at 22 what they wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year olds I know still dont.

Get plenty of calcium

Be kind to your knees, youll miss them when theyre gone.

Maybe youll marry, maybe you wont, maybe youll have children, maybe you wont, maybe youll divorce at 40, maybe youll dance the funky chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary...what ever you do, dont congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either - your choices are half chance, so are everybody elses.

Enjoy your body, use it every way you can...dont be afraid of it, or what other people think of it, its the greatest instrument youll ever own.

Dance...even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room.

Read the directions, even if you dont follow them.

Do NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly.

49 second break in speech -- Quindon singing

Get to know your parents, youll never know when theyll be gone for good. Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the people most likely to stick with you in the future.

Understand that friends come and go, but for the precious few you should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography in lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young.

Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.

Travel.

Accept certain inalienable truths, price will rise, politicians will philander, you too will get old, and when you do youll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

Respect your elders.

Dont expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund, maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one might run out.

Dont mess too much with your hair, or by the time its 40, it will look 85.

Be careful who advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than its worth.

But trust me on the sunscreen...
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :lol:

Yeah, good luck everyone:)
    I don't care what people say lol. A-Level exams are hard.
    Good luck everyone who's waiting! :thumb:
    ...think of these very, very wise words from Baz Luhrman...
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't there a song out a couple of years ago where he said all that? I think it was back in 1999.
    Indeed and I was reminded of it today...
    good luck to you all, wish id stuck it out that far before it went tits up :thumb:
    Good luck, whatever happens you can get hammered :)
    No sex in the champagne room no sex in the champagne room

And a bit of late good luck to you all.
    No sex in the champagne room no sex in the champagne room

And a bit of late good luck to you all.

Jeez tell me AFTER why dont you....
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Good luck, whatever happens you can get hammered :)
    My sister has taken two days off work specifically for that purpose. Thursday will be spent celebrating the results and getting pissed, Friday will be spent dealing with a monstrous hangover. And nowt wrong with that.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    My sister has taken two days off work specifically for that purpose. Thursday will be spent celebrating the results and getting pissed, Friday will be spent dealing with a monstrous hangover. And nowt wrong with that.

Good girl!
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't there a song out a couple of years ago where he said all that? I think it was back in 1999.
    Yes. It began "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Class of '99... Wear sunscreen."

It wasn't written by him, it was a column.

A quick Wiki
    GoodFella wrote: »
    Good girl!
    Her place at university is guaranteed already anyway, as she's always keen to point out. She already has more than the required UCAS points, so for her, tomorrow's results are a mere formality.
    NB: You can now check on UCAS track whether your university choices has accepted your grades

Best of luck!
    Student forum
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6949084.stm Watch the video in the top right. Ouch!! Who on earth would open their results live on national TV when they could be disastrous..
    Aabc (as) ;)
    Congratulations everyone. Ignore the media. I just went on the BBC Have Your Say Message Boards about results. Theres some arseholes on there I tell you. I did my A Levels 3 years ago and it still annoys me they say they are getting easier and worthless every year. Ignore them!
    Anyone who has failed an A Level can get a free flight from ryanair if they go to Bar Risa in Birmingham today.

Disgusting!
    Oh yeah, and when I got my A Level results 7 years ago, the media went on about how they were getting easier. Ignore them all, the jealous sods.
    katchika wrote: »
    Anyone who has failed an A Level can get a free flight from ryanair if they go to Bar Risa in Birmingham today.

Disgusting!
    LOL!!!!!!
    Ricardo R wrote: »
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/6949084.stm Watch the video in the top right. Ouch!! Who on earth would open their results live on national TV when they could be disastrous..

Heh - that was quite sad yet quite funny too... No idea why on earth you'd want to do that!
    Disgusting!

Not really, you'd have to be a stupid cunt who doesn't deserve to go to uni if you're going to deliberately fail an A-Level just to get a free flight. This is for people who tried and just got unlucky.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Not really, you'd have to be a stupid cunt who doesn't deserve to go to uni if you're going to deliberately fail an A-Level just to get a free flight. This is for people who tried and just got unlucky.

Exactly
    As far as I know, ryanair only announced this now, so no-one could have deliberately failed. But that wasn't my point.

Only people with a U can get a free flight. What do you have to do to get a U? What's the lowest grade, is it an E, F or G?

I think it's wrong to reward failure.
    As far as I know, ryanair only announced this now, so no-one could have deliberately failed. But that wasn't my point.

Only people with a U can get a free flight. What do you have to do to get a U? What's the lowest grade, is it an E, F or G?

It's not so much a reward, more of a consolation prize.
    Lowest grade is an E, I think. I got an unclassified last year :impissed:

U (unclassified) is the lowest grade, AFAIK it's a mark below 30.

Some people try really hard and still get the lowest grades possible. Why not make them feel a little better, you trying to say your parents or grandparents never given you a tenner or something whenever you failed in school or didn't win a competition?
    U (unclassified) is the lowest grade, AFAIK it's a mark below 30.

Some people try really hard and still get the lowest grades possible. Why not make them feel a little better, you trying to say your parents or grandparents never given you a tenner or something whenever you failed in school or didn't win a competition?

No, they didn't! But to be fair, I didn't fail anything. My Dad gave me some money after getting my A Level results because he was proud of me.
    you trying to say your parents or grandparents never given you a tenner or something whenever you failed in school or didn't win a competition?
    Errrm, no?!?!?!