Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Lieing about Availablility (A Moral Dilema)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello.

You probably know that Ive been looking for a summer job following my graduation and before my postgrad course starts at the end of September. Im registered with all six agencies in town and Ive had no luck from any of them. Im technically fibbing to them, seeing as I have been saying Im not starting a postgrad til next year. I really dont want to sign on but im getting really low on funds, without even spending much, and i keep having to dip into my savings.

Anyway, I've noticed theres a shop in town I wouldnt mind working for advertising a vacancy. However, if if i fibbed and said i wasnt doing my postgrad til next year and got the job (hypothetically) Would there be anything they could or would do if i resigned in just under 6 weeks time when i need to move to where my postgrad course is at. Im affording my course through a career development loan so thats how i can afford that. I basically just want to be out of my overdraft, or near to it as possible, before i start this course. I just dont feel...comfortable...lieing through my teeth to get work for 6 weeks. So...yes... if i did get a job and left early because i was lieing about my availability wouldt hey take any action? In what should be my last job in that sort of area (and geographically in this location too)

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    If you were to do it I wouldn't put it on a CV and trying to get a reference out of them!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    JsT wrote: »
    If you were to do it I wouldn't put it on a CV and trying to get a reference out of them!

Oh definatly not. I had a bar job for less than a month at the start of my third year of uni i quit because it was far too many hours and i wasnt studying properly. Ive never made reference to it on my CV.
    Nope, no problem with it.

You wouldn't get a nice reference from them, but there's no reason you can't leave at any point. May be worth making subtle enquiries as to what the notice period is, both for them and for you.
    Im going to go and wave my cv at them this afternoon. :nervous:
    Good luck. I found it impossible to get work in retail after I graduated and was looking for something/anything, even when they were temp xmas vacancies, and so the companies can't have been worried about me buggering off for something better, and I had nearly 2 years experience working in Boots. I think my CV went straight on the 'overqualified and over-21' pile...
    Forget your 'morals'. Most employers don't give a shit about you..you have to look out for yourself.

I worked for the council straight after graduating despite knowing I had a proper job to go to at the end of September. It was highly satisfying handing in my notice.

You need money, lie. It's not even lying anyway, you could always say you only just decided/found out about the postgraduate course.
    Urg, probably didnt need to post this. None of the places Ive applied to have even been in touch. Im going to struggle to not reach my overdraft limit if my loan doesnt come in by the start of next month :|
    Just lie !!

Or as I prefer strech the truth :D

Companies are happy to play you given the chance, so play them at their own game.

:thumb:
    yeah just convieniantly forget to tell them mate, pretend its a long term things then when the 6 weeks is up just say its not for you
    5 Weeks now. I hate the lack of work in this shitey little town, the agencies said there would be work when i came back and i gave them a date. The only time i got offered work was when i was still at uni. Im really, really, skint until my loan comes in whenever that will be :|
    have you applied for JSA?