Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Starting your own charity

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have you ever thought about it? I've always thought it sounds like a lot of hard work... and when I interviewed Rob Wilson, who set up a great charity called Read International, I realised I wasn't wrong. This guy's amazing - he started out volunteering at uni then turned a project into a full-scale charity, basically gathering old school textbooks from the uk and sending them to Africa for schools out in Tanzania.

Anyway, check out his story here - or listen to it by clicking on the audio button - it might inspire you to get your own idea off the ground?

Starting my own charity

Continuing the charity theme, we've been vox popping on the same subject this month, asking people how and why they give to charity. The results are very mixed! Check them out here.

Do you give to charity - or think it's a waste of time?...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't give to charity people begging money of passers by on the streets BUT I do give to people raising money for charity like sponsership and stuff. I will also regularly give to charitys when I start earning a wage full time.

Charity. I don't really get it, why does charity have to be physically giving something, how about giving up your time for something. I guess that is volunteering then, mmm but it is kinda charity cos you are doing something for someone else out of the goodness of your heart. OK, random thoughts!!
    *Ashlee* wrote: »
    I don't give to charity people begging money of passers by on the streets

I don't either.
    BUT I do give to people raising money for charity like sponsership and stuff. I will also regularly give to charitys when I start earning a wage full time.

I do this as well sometimes when I have the money to do so.
    Charity. I don't really get it, why does charity have to be physically giving something, how about giving up your time for something. I guess that is volunteering then, mmm but it is kinda charity cos you are doing something for someone else out of the goodness of your heart. OK, random thoughts!!

Interesting thought.
    I give to Shelter and Help the Aged every month, i did race for life in May for Cancer Research UK, and i'm thinking about doing another one for British Heart Foundation. I also want to find out a way to help Kidney Research UK as i have broken kidneys and it could come in handy lol. I'm all for a good cause me :D (although i'm another one that doesn't hand out money to people on the street - it does my head in).
    MLY wrote: »
    I give to Shelter and Help the Aged every month, i did race for life in May for Cancer Research UK, and i'm thinking about doing another one for British Heart Foundation. I also want to find out a way to help Kidney Research UK as i have broken kidneys and it could come in handy lol. I'm all for a good cause me :D (although i'm another one that doesn't hand out money to people on the street - it does my head in).

I've always wanted to do a race for life was it hard ?
    I've always wanted to do a race for life was it hard ?

Not really no. I was extremely unfit, and i smoke like a chimney and i managed to walk the 5km in an hour.
    Not really no. I was extremely unfit, and i smoke like a chimney and i managed to walk the 5km in an hour.

Haha I might do one then it would be nice to do something good i guess
    I give to Shelter and Help the Aged every month, i did race for life in May for Cancer Research UK, and i'm thinking about doing another one for British Heart Foundation. I also want to find out a way to help Kidney Research UK as i have broken kidneys and it could come in handy lol. I'm all for a good cause me

Quite the role model ;)
    I don't give to the big charities like Oxfam or the NSPCC, because if they can afford to pay their CEO £100k then they don't need my money.

I donate money to smaller charities like the Children's Heart Unit Fund at the Freeman Hospital in Newcastle.

My employer is a charity, and it makes life nicer knowing that I'm helping people.
    I give to a couple of smallish ones on a monthly basis because I think they do a very good job and are slighly unique in what they offer.

I will often sponser people to do pretty much anything for a cause, and give sporadically to other good causes.