Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Deposit/Bond

BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
Is a deposit for rent the same as a bond?

I was pretty sure it was, but the way the estate agent worded it, he made it sound like two seperate things.

I would just call him, but I am trying to work some figures out now, so we can decide whether to go for it or not.

Cheers guys!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Usually, but estate agents are robbing cunts so make sure they're not being slippery.

Make sure your bond gets put in the new security system, too.

If they are being slippery, drown them in the river from me. Twats.
  • Options
    Bunnie wrote: »
    Is a deposit for rent the same as a bond?

I was pretty sure it was, but the way the estate agent worded it, he made it sound like two seperate things.

I would just call him, but I am trying to work some figures out now, so we can decide whether to go for it or not.

Cheers guys!

Not always. A landlord may ask for a bond (security deposit) and keep this for as long as your in the property. This would cover any damage or loss to the property that your responsible for.

Deposit for rent is usually a months rent paid up front (although this is sometimes used as a bond) and is used to pay for your final month in the property.

It might be worth asking your landlord if he intends to charge you a bond and a months rent.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Usually, but estate agents are robbing cunts .

What all of em ? :no:
  • Options
    DC85 wrote: »
    What all of em ? :no:

I've not met one who isn't.

Look what they pay their staff, for starters, compared to what they charge their clients.

Twats. I'd execute the lot of em.
  • Options
    Calvin wrote: »
    Deposit for rent is usually a months rent paid up front (although this is sometimes used as a bond) and is used to pay for your final month in the property.

Not quite true; in most places you just pay a month up front, but that's because the rent period ends on the day before you pay.

Usually for a rented place you'll need a bond (about one month's rent), one month's rent up front, and then the thieving agents up here charge half of one month's rent + VAT as an "administration charge". And that's in addition to keeping the first month's rent from the landlord.

I hate estate agents and would kill all of them, starting with Keith Pattinson.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Twats. I'd execute the lot of em.

Okay. :no:
  • Options
    BunnieBunnie Posts: 6,099 Master Poster
    Thanks for the responses, I shall call them tomorrow and check what the deal is.

Thanks again! :D