Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Public & Private Roads

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone come across a road / cul-du-sac that starts off as a public road and then turns into a private road part of the way up?

I seem to remember someone I know getting their car clamped on what they thought was a public road and being told that part of the way up it turns into a private road - and then people are free to clamp your car.

I parked in what seemed like a similar road this weekend but hard to see where the public road ends and private begins..

Wondering how common these kind of roads are?

Seem like a great trap for the car clampers.

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Common around new developments, there is tons up here.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    When you're lost is when they all show up!

They should really have a sign if its not obvious its a private road before they are allowed to clamp your car, though. Take pictures and show theres no sign or way of knowing. Get some mental anguish money ;)
    A lot of these roads you'd never even know were private until you got to the very end of the road not usually a sign saying you're now entering a private section, etc
    I know, thats why you can do that. If theres nothing saying, who's to say you knew! I think your friend could have easily gotten any money back he had to pay to get unbooted and all that jazz :yes: Though I don't know about there... but here, if its not clearly marked, its as good as yours ;)
    It's very uncommom for a public highway to just turn into a private road, a car park maybe.
    A good indicator is if the road is tarmacced, if its tarmacced chances are it's public highway but the residents have put signs up to stop people parking there. If we're ever unsure (ie before towing a car) we contact the county council and they tell us, however being a member of public I don't know if they'd tell you without a fee.
    I wouldn't go on the tarmac, most of the private roads around here are have tarmac. There's usually a sign and some kind of dividing mark, although often it's not that obvious.
    Most of the private roads round here have a gate to access them, or a chain across them - or at least a big old sign. A lot also have speed bumps too. They're quite common round here, but they're very obviously marked out as private though.
    you cant however always go on the basis of a sign, most roads i've seen that say they are private are just there for show. Like I said the only definitive answer you'll get is your local council