Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The effects of the smoking ban in Europe on Amsterdam's Coffee Shops.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know when the smoking ban comes into place in the rest of Europe?

Also, how will this effect the Coffee Shops in Amsterdam? Will they still sell Marijuana and have outdoor terraces built to smoke on?

I know the Grasshopper already has an outdoor part, but I'm worried if all the others which are crammed into Amsterdam's narrow alleys will be able to?
Or will they simply just stop selling weed?

I just wanted to know, because I feel a return trip may be in order soon...:chin:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A) This should really be in the Drugs section

B) Frankly I'd rather have them become a bit more sterile and a bit more like the state run off licences you get in parts of Canada.

C) I dont know the answer to your question, but I assume they will continue to sell but you wont be able to smoke there.
    There is no EU-wide smoking ban - there's been talk of it but currently it's not happened.

Quite a few countries have brought in restrictions - but Britain/Ireland have the harshest anti-smoking laws. Germany is going for a partial ban - it's going to vary within Germany between different states, but smoking is probably going to be allowed in separate rooms for restaurants/bars/beer halls. At the moment you can smoke on trains in Germany, hotel reception areas usually, even little kebab shops - I'd guess this will be stopping soon. Italy, Spain and Portugal too have bans I think but all allow separate rooms for smoking as far as I know. I know for sure Italy does. Even in the US where anti-smoking nuts have had their way for a while there's sometimes exemptions for separate rooms, cigar bars, etc... Britain has the most extreme restrictions on smoking...smoking isn't allowed inside any 'public' space.

The Dutch are sensible; they'll probably go for some kind of partial ban with an exemption for coffee shops...
    Dutch reject coffee shop smoking ban.

I don't think they'd want to encourage people smoking weed on the street, I'd be stunned if it's banned in coffee shops. (Although, I remember we bought weed in Grasshopper and smoked it in our hostel bar... I'd guess that might not be allowed in future, which would suck as the hostel bar was more fun than coffee shops).
    Ahh that's good then.
    I'm glad that Germany have selected a partial ban, a beer in the Hofbrauhaus just wouldn't be the same without a fag. ;) (I only really smoke whilst drinking now)

I hope Holland does chose to not include Coffee Shops in the ban, it's the only place that us weed smokers can blaze in peace.
    That's quite cool about your hostel bar, we were staying in a hotel and had to smoke it on the balcony haha, not sure if we were allowed to though.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Ahh that's good then.
    I'm glad that Germany have selected a partial ban, a beer in the Hofbrauhaus just wouldn't be the same without a fag. ;) (I only really smoke whilst drinking now)

That place rocks! Ah, Grasshopper, Hofbrauhauss...reminding me of inter-railing across Europe! Cigarettes, weissbier, those giant pretzels...
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    That's quite cool about your hostel bar, we were staying in a hotel and had to smoke it on the balcony haha, not sure if we were allowed to though.

Go to the Meeting Point hostel next time you're there... it's not the cleanest of places, I've stayed in a lot of hostels and it was one of the dirtiest tbh but it's also my favourite! Way cheaper than any hotel too and it has a nice bar. You're allowed to sit in the bar and smoke (and even bring in your own food if you ask nicely).
    That place rocks! Ah, Grasshopper, Hofbrauhauss...reminding me of inter-railing across Europe! Cigarettes, weissbier, those giant pretzels...

Go to the Meeting Point hostel next time you're there... it's not the cleanest of places, I've stayed in a lot of hostels and it was one of the dirtiest tbh but it's also my favourite! Way cheaper than any hotel too and it has a nice bar. You're allowed to sit in the bar and smoke (and even bring in your own food if you ask nicely).

I liked the Grasshopper, but it definately wasn't my favourite Coffee Shop.
    The really big commercial Coffee Shops such as the Grasshopper and the Bulldog's didn't sell very good quality skunk and hash, compared to alot of the smaller one's dotted around the Red Light District.
    Although the Grasshopper did have a good atmosphere, and there was a bar above the smoking area so you could get pissed aswell.

The Hofbrauhaus is quality, as is Munich, Bavaria and Germany in general.
    Got to love Austria too. :thumb:

Lol I wanna go back to all these places now.