Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

so whats a good area of leeds to live in?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Not exactly student related but since I'm going to be moving to Leeds in prep for uni next year I just wanted to know what areas of Leeds people have lived in and which were the best ones?

pros and cons etc ?

anyone?!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey,

I've lived in leeds as a student for 3 years, goin into my 4th yr!!

Basically there are 3 main areas where students live....

1. Hyde Park get some very nice houses round the edge of the park but there are some crappy bits, average rent per week prob around the £55 a week mark but obviously varies. Two big pubs called the Hyde Park and Royal Park Pub. Quite a lot of non-student residents (mostly asian).Close to uni (bout 5-15 min walk)

2. Headingley is prob bit more expensive rent varies between £55-£70. Good location for supermarkets (asda and somerfield) and all the shops bank etc. Lot more lively at night with 2nd 3rd and 4th yrs with bout 6 good pubs and lots of nice restaurants. You've also got the cricklet and rugby stadium there as well. Is closer away from Uni tho, (15-30min walk). Can jump on a train at either headingley or burley park (actually more in the middle of headingley) to central leeds.

3. Woodhouse, don't no much bout woodhouse as have never lived there but have heard bad things, rent is cheap but other than that there is not much going on, but is close to uni.

Further away is burley but is a trek from uni and is mostly non students....

I have lived in headingley for 2 yrs and am living in hyde park next year both have advantages but they r right next to each other so it doesn't make that much difference.....

Hope this helps
    Seacroft! Just joking, I don't know why anyone would want to live there.

Hixxy's post is a good one.

North Leeds is better than South Leeds but if you want studenty parts then Headingley, Hyde Park etc is what you're after.
    North Leeds is better than South Leeds but if you want studenty parts then Headingley, Hyde Park etc is what you're after.

The nice bits don't tend to like students polluting them, so stick to those bits.
    Don't be rude/mean.
    Don't be rude/mean.

It's true. Woodhouse, Hyde Park and Headingley are for students.
    I know they are!
    I know they are!

And other places aren't.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    And other places aren't.
    Like Seacroft.
    Thanks for the help,

I was gonna think about seacroft(JOKE!)but then I realised........that would be silly........very silly indeed.....

I was thinking about the Headingely and Hyde Park Areas. they seem to be the best option for nice - studenty parts... and i've done a fireshow at Headingley :-P

Seen a few places in Burley park too but since my bro lived there whilst he was at uni and got broken into twice, i don't think i'll be doing that.

and woodhouse..........went to a party once there.....we don't talk about woodhouse anymore....

but yeh thanks Hixxy great help!

Hixxy wrote: »
    Hey,

I've lived in leeds as a student for 3 years, goin into my 4th yr!!

Basically there are 3 main areas where students live....

1. Hyde Park get some very nice houses round the edge of the park but there are some crappy bits, average rent per week prob around the £55 a week mark but obviously varies. Two big pubs called the Hyde Park and Royal Park Pub. Quite a lot of non-student residents (mostly asian).Close to uni (bout 5-15 min walk)

2. Headingley is prob bit more expensive rent varies between £55-£70. Good location for supermarkets (asda and somerfield) and all the shops bank etc. Lot more lively at night with 2nd 3rd and 4th yrs with bout 6 good pubs and lots of nice restaurants. You've also got the cricklet and rugby stadium there as well. Is closer away from Uni tho, (15-30min walk). Can jump on a train at either headingley or burley park (actually more in the middle of headingley) to central leeds.

3. Woodhouse, don't no much bout woodhouse as have never lived there but have heard bad things, rent is cheap but other than that there is not much going on, but is close to uni.

Further away is burley but is a trek from uni and is mostly non students....

I have lived in headingley for 2 yrs and am living in hyde park next year both have advantages but they r right next to each other so it doesn't make that much difference.....

Hope this helps
    Boins wrote: »
    I was gonna think about seacroft(JOKE!)but then I realised........that would be silly........very silly indeed.....

I dunno, its quite a good idea if you wanna get shot I suppose.
    Dont live in Woodhouse, its terrible. I got bitten by 2 different dogs on 3 occasions. And the dogs aren't even as bad as the local youths!
    Hah thats true. Glad Im the other side of Leeds!
    one more question, found an estate agents. Castle Hill that offer student housing

is it going to be a problem that in a house of three I'll be the only student?

or does it not matter?
    Bol***ks!!!!
    just phoned up the uni and found out that the course i wanted to do is full up

now what the balls am i gonna do. kinda throws this whole moving to Leeds thing into disarray...

argh why did i procrastinate for so long
    Join the club mate!!

Any similar courses they do? Or anything at Huddersfield/Bradford or someone commutable?
    I live Headingley side of Cardigan Road, near the Stadium. Its sound I really like it.

When i was a fresher I lived in Sentinel Towers on Burley St. Thats a pretty decent area as well.

Steve