Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Landlord not returning deposit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As the title says really. We moved out on the 1st July and still haven't received our deposits. My housemates dad send him a letter saying we'll take him to the small claims court if he doesnt pay up, but still nothing :mad: anything I do, what are my rights?

Comments

• Options
    has he given a reason to why he hasnt paid up? was there any damage? did the place need cleaning?
  • Options
    Aye, same here. Can't complain really as we fucked the house up and wrecked the place. :)
  • Options
    Write to the landlord and set out a stricty timeframe, 14 days, for return of the deposit. State that if the deposit is not returned within 14 days then you may commence legal proceedings to recover the deposit.

You'll probably find that they'll write back saying you trashed the place and they're keeping the lot. Force them to provide evidence of the damage, and force them to prove that they went to the cheapest place.
  • Options
    tbh most landlords do this, they never have any intention of giving the money back. Mr. Creamcheese says that thats why he always withholds the last months rent because he knows they never give the deposit back.

I think theyre bringing in new laws about this so that landlords cant keep doing it as its become so much of a problem, but i cant remember. Ill ask my mum as shes worked in housing for a long time.
  • Options
    tbh most landlords do this, they never have any intention of giving the money back.

it does work both ways, my mum rents out two houses and often has to withhold the deposit because of the damage to the houses,
  • Options
    New laws have been brought in forcing landlords to hold the deposit in escrow, so that they can't spend it. Most landlords withhold the deposit as a matter of course because they've spent it, and can't afford to replace it, and will fabricate damage instead. My last landlord trashed the house after I left, and I couldn't prove I hadn't done it.

Basically all landlords are robbing vermin, and if I ruled the country they'd be treated like the common thieves that they are. Hands off, everyone's a winner. I fucking hate landlords, and I hope their houses all burn down.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    if I ruled the country they'd be treated like the common thieves that they are

God forbid...

:D

OP, if he does say that there has been damage caused, most important is to get proof and ask him to produce receipts proving the cost of the damage otherwise he may as well be pulling figures out of his arse in order to screw you over as much as possible.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    God forbid...

:D

OP, if he does say that there has been damage caused, most important is to get proof and ask him to produce receipts proving the cost of the damage otherwise he may as well be pulling figures out of his arse in order to screw you over as much as possible.

:yes: You might find this Q&A from the askTheSite archive useful:

Deposit drama